MDI Clones and Techline

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: MDI Clones and Techline

Post by Tazzi »

Wait till he needs to use tech2win with a kline module on the MDI2... still waiting on a response on that one via bosch and techline.

I have two MDI2's, and both have issues with kline modules via tech2.

Works fine on a MD1 though... sometimes newer is not always better :?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
cobra30689
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:26 pm
cars: 2002 Camaro Z28, 1988 Jeep YJ 4.8 swapped, 2009 Saturn Sky Redline

Re: MDI Clones and Techline

Post by cobra30689 »

Tazzi wrote: Tue Jul 29, 2025 12:18 pm Wait till he needs to use tech2win with a kline module on the MDI2... still waiting on a response on that one via bosch and techline.

I have two MDI2's, and both have issues with kline modules via tech2.

Works fine on a MD1 though... sometimes newer is not always better :?
When you refer to "kline" (I've heard the term, just not on a GM), are you referring to the VPW/Class 2 bus on Pin 2?
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: MDI Clones and Techline

Post by Tazzi »

cobra30689 wrote: Wed Jul 30, 2025 1:15 am
Tazzi wrote: Tue Jul 29, 2025 12:18 pm Wait till he needs to use tech2win with a kline module on the MDI2... still waiting on a response on that one via bosch and techline.

I have two MDI2's, and both have issues with kline modules via tech2.

Works fine on a MD1 though... sometimes newer is not always better :?
When you refer to "kline" (I've heard the term, just not on a GM), are you referring to the VPW/Class 2 bus on Pin 2?
Kline, as in ISO9141 (Pin 7 and 15) or KWP2000 (Pin 7)

Pin 7 is known as "K-Line", and Pin 15 is known as "L-line"
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: MDI Clones and Techline

Post by ironduke »

Tazzi wrote: Wed Jul 30, 2025 6:35 am
cobra30689 wrote: Wed Jul 30, 2025 1:15 am
Tazzi wrote: Tue Jul 29, 2025 12:18 pm Wait till he needs to use tech2win with a kline module on the MDI2... still waiting on a response on that one via bosch and techline.

I have two MDI2's, and both have issues with kline modules via tech2.

Works fine on a MD1 though... sometimes newer is not always better :?
When you refer to "kline" (I've heard the term, just not on a GM), are you referring to the VPW/Class 2 bus on Pin 2?
Kline, as in ISO9141 (Pin 7 and 15) or KWP2000 (Pin 7)

Pin 7 is known as "K-Line", and Pin 15 is known as "L-line"
If the US has ever had kline on a gm vehicle it would had to have been before we were programming modules.. I was wondering what kline was too, lol..
oh and I brought the offending mdi home and gave it a new serial number last night. Been awhile since I've done it. Think I'll even use it with gds2 a bit and program a few things before I hand it back to him just to be sure it's not gonna get his account super duper locked, lol.. I have yet to get any warning or lockdown with the 4 clones I've been using but they haven't had the offending serial in years.
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: MDI Clones and Techline

Post by Tazzi »

The equivalent of our Holden Barinas we have here, which I think are the Chevrolet Sprint or Chevrolet Aveo, which will both be Kline based vehicles.
There are a bunch of others, I am just unsure of the model names for GM vehicles, its basically all those early small vehicles which got it.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: MDI Clones and Techline

Post by antus »

Yeah K-Line / KWP / KWP-2000 are mostly older euro or there is quite a lot of it in Japan and Asia as well. So models from those regions tend to have it. For GM that means usually cars designed by Opel or Isuzu before Can bus.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
x_Celestia
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:14 am
cars: 2009 SBM VE Series 1:
LFX SIDI || Tremec TR-3160 6MT || 3.91 final, Zeta II front suspension conversion || Zeta II ZL1 EPS || Zeta II Z/28 EBCM

Re: MDI Clones and Techline

Post by x_Celestia »

ironduke wrote: Tue Jul 29, 2025 11:39 am
Tazzi wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 10:43 pm
antus wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 1:16 pm Not sure, but read Tazzi's post a few above yours about it uploading logs from the system when it connects. Maybe using it with GDS2 or Tech2win was enough to get the serial in the logs.
Same thing, I hear about tools being banned every week, some of which are only using for GDS2/tech2win through their accounts.

Im guessing its an automated system which scans for specific serials and just automatically blacklists the account.
Thanks, That kind of answers my co-workers first question which was if he never programmed with it could he use it for diagnostics only.. Course I have offered many times to change the serial number on it but he just wasn't interested, no matter how many times I told him they'd lock him out he thought he was special because he's a dealer tech.. He did actually just order his own mdi2 though, shocked the heck out of me.. Now the fun part of getting his account unlocked, he's refusing to do anything and expects the sm to do it for him.. sm is asking me how to do it, lmao.. I had already handed him a printout of very short instructions on how to get started provided to me by someone from gm.
I really should change the serial on my clone even though I have a dedicated laptop for GDS2 and another for SPS2 but it looks like a proper pain in the ass given that I know nothing about Linux :joy:

(Also hello fellow Cruze enjoyer)