Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
T3klock
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
cars: Cobalt

Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by T3klock »

I was looking for something super cheap to monitor my gmlan sw bus while interacting with my Tech2. I never hear anyone talk about it, but this little guy works great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BSKSQPPZ?re ... asin_title

With the candlelight firmware it supports native socketcan which is what I was looking for so I can use can-utils on my linux box for monitoring. I just grounded can-L and connected can-H to one of the green low speed gmlan wires coming out of my BCM. After setting the baud rate to 33333 and bring up the interface it seems to work perfectly. If anyone is wanting a cheap monitoring device, I can't see how you can beat $12 bucks!
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by ironduke »

You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
T3klock
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
cars: Cobalt

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by T3klock »

ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
Right, I have a couple of elms. One that comes in the blue case and one in the black case. I feel like this IC works a little smoother. At least in linux and on a raspberry pi.
T3klock
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
cars: Cobalt

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by T3klock »

ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..

I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by antus »

6 and 14 are usually 500k high speed.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by ironduke »

T3klock wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:28 pm
ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..

I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
Sorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..
Last edited by ironduke on Mon Mar 02, 2026 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T3klock
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
cars: Cobalt

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by T3klock »

ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 9:47 pm
T3klock wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:28 pm
ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..

I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
Sorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..
I'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by ironduke »

T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 8:26 am
ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 9:47 pm
T3klock wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:28 pm


I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
Sorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..
I'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?
I guess I confuse easily, what are you trying to say? I can talk on the low speed pin 1, multiple ways.. I never said I or anyone else couldn't.. I was just pointing out a different way of doing it with hardware most people here already have on hand, nothing wrong with buying additional hardware and doing it your way.
T3klock
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
cars: Cobalt

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by T3klock »

ironduke wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 11:50 am
T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 8:26 am
ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 9:47 pm

Sorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..
I'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?
I guess I confuse easily, what are you trying to say? I can talk on the low speed pin 1, multiple ways.. I never said I or anyone else couldn't.. I was just pointing out a different way of doing it with hardware most people here already have on hand, nothing wrong with buying additional hardware and doing it your way.
oh I guess you just misspoke but you said "set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus." Anyway I'm still learning all this so when I hear some like that I just want to make sure I'm doing it right lol....
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring

Post by ironduke »

T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 4:09 pm
ironduke wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 11:50 am
T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 8:26 am

I'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?
I guess I confuse easily, what are you trying to say? I can talk on the low speed pin 1, multiple ways.. I never said I or anyone else couldn't.. I was just pointing out a different way of doing it with hardware most people here already have on hand, nothing wrong with buying additional hardware and doing it your way.
oh I guess you just misspoke but you said "set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus." Anyway I'm still learning all this so when I hear some like that I just want to make sure I'm doing it right lol....
Doh!!!!! Yeah... I definitely misspoke there!!! I looked back, read it to myself and still missed it!!! lmao..
Sorry about that!! Sorry to say you but sometimes I need things to be blatantly pointed out to me...