I was looking for something super cheap to monitor my gmlan sw bus while interacting with my Tech2. I never hear anyone talk about it, but this little guy works great!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BSKSQPPZ?re ... asin_title
With the candlelight firmware it supports native socketcan which is what I was looking for so I can use can-utils on my linux box for monitoring. I just grounded can-L and connected can-H to one of the green low speed gmlan wires coming out of my BCM. After setting the baud rate to 33333 and bring up the interface it seems to work perfectly. If anyone is wanting a cheap monitoring device, I can't see how you can beat $12 bucks!
Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
-
T3klock
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
- cars: Cobalt
-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
-
T3klock
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
- cars: Cobalt
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
Right, I have a couple of elms. One that comes in the blue case and one in the black case. I feel like this IC works a little smoother. At least in linux and on a raspberry pi.ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
-
T3klock
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
- cars: Cobalt
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
6 and 14 are usually 500k high speed.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
Sorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..T3klock wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:28 pmironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
Last edited by ironduke on Mon Mar 02, 2026 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
T3klock
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
- cars: Cobalt
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
I'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 9:47 pmSorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..T3klock wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:28 pmironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:12 pm You can use an elm to do the same thing, I have a couple of those laying around collecting dust, I'm thinking a lot of people do, lol..
use 6@14, ground can low and set baud to 33,333..
I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
I guess I confuse easily, what are you trying to say? I can talk on the low speed pin 1, multiple ways.. I never said I or anyone else couldn't.. I was just pointing out a different way of doing it with hardware most people here already have on hand, nothing wrong with buying additional hardware and doing it your way.T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 8:26 amI'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 9:47 pmSorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..T3klock wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 3:28 pm
I just noticed you said 6 and 14. On my 2010 Cobalt pin 1 is the SW GMLAN. Is that not the case on newer gm's?
-
T3klock
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2026 12:16 am
- cars: Cobalt
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
oh I guess you just misspoke but you said "set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus." Anyway I'm still learning all this so when I hear some like that I just want to make sure I'm doing it right lol....ironduke wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 11:50 amI guess I confuse easily, what are you trying to say? I can talk on the low speed pin 1, multiple ways.. I never said I or anyone else couldn't.. I was just pointing out a different way of doing it with hardware most people here already have on hand, nothing wrong with buying additional hardware and doing it your way.T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 8:26 amI'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?ironduke wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2026 9:47 pm
Sorry, didn't explain fully.. You wire pin 14(can High) to pin 1, pin 6(can Low) to ground, set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus. I used to have an elm with a DPDT switch wired in to switch from high speed 6@14 to gm lan pin 1.. Once I figured out how to use the GM mdi I quit using elm's..
-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: Cheap CAN device for SW monitoring
Doh!!!!! Yeah... I definitely misspoke there!!! I looked back, read it to myself and still missed it!!! lmao..T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 4:09 pmoh I guess you just misspoke but you said "set the baud to 33.3k and you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus." Anyway I'm still learning all this so when I hear some like that I just want to make sure I'm doing it right lol....ironduke wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 11:50 amI guess I confuse easily, what are you trying to say? I can talk on the low speed pin 1, multiple ways.. I never said I or anyone else couldn't.. I was just pointing out a different way of doing it with hardware most people here already have on hand, nothing wrong with buying additional hardware and doing it your way.T3klock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2026 8:26 am
I'm running can-H on my device to pin 1 on the DLC connecter in my car and connecting can-l to the ground on my device. I'm also connecting the ground on my device to pin 5 on the DLC. What do you mean you can not talk on the low speed pin 1 bus?
Sorry about that!! Sorry to say you but sometimes I need things to be blatantly pointed out to me...