I'm working on an open-source shadow password calculator for Delco ECMs, and I'd need your help getting some serial/password pairs to work with.
The first version of the calculator will be for E39/A, E98, E84, and hopefully E78.
I have a pretty good number of test cases for all of them except the E84 (the most wanted E84s are the ones with trailing number >= 1000, ie. 4th last digit not "0"), but I'd appreciate any pairs you have -- the more, the merrier.
current status: 100% working E39, 90% working E98 (need more test cases), 80% working E84, 0% working E78.
If you have any flash dumps lying around in your database, I'd very much appreciate it if you could share the serial/password pairs here.
I don't have any bricked modules myself, but I've already seen so many requests for this, and I loathe the idea of such "features" being behind a paywall. (I could go further into the automotive "PM-me-for-price / password-for-money / I-can-do-it-for-you-but-won't-tell-you-how-I-did-it" community standards, but I don't want to get political here...)
looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
-
morfi
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
- cars: Insignia 2014
looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
Last edited by morfi on Sat Aug 08, 2026 9:12 am, edited 7 times in total.



-
gmtech825
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
You just need the serial number and shadow password combo's?
-
morfi
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
- cars: Insignia 2014
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
correct, eg.gmtech825 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 2:01 pm You just need the serial number and shadow password combo's?
Code: Select all
8114015842057515 / ED35AC36ABF6AC76 / E98


-
gmtech825
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
Sorry I dont know the serial number location for the e98
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
gmtech825
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
also dont know the serial number location for this e78
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
morfi
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
- cars: Insignia 2014
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
I've got you. Thanks a lot!gmtech825 wrote: also dont know the serial number location for this e78
Code: Select all
$ strings e98_flash.bin | awk '{$1=$1; if (length($0) == 16) print}' | sort -u
1125017746780722
$ strings e78_flash.bin | awk '{$1=$1; if (length($0) == 16) print}' | sort -u
86AB3XK141343R73
$ xxd -c1000000 -u -p e98_shadow.bin | sed 's/FF//g; s/........$//g'
ED366BF72C37ECB5
$ xxd -c1000000 -u -p e78_shadow.bin | sed 's/FF//g; s/........$//g'
2307D59F5E834A5B


-
gmtech825
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
E82
I can get some e92's and probably at least one more e78.
I can get some e92's and probably at least one more e78.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
fl0wl0w
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm
- cars: L83/8L90 swapped 2013 W204 Mercedes, 1986 LS3 Swapped BMW E30, 1995 LS swapped GMC Truck, Custom Vehicle
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
I'll get you a few when i get back to the bench, probably on Sunday. I have 4 or 5 e92s, a couple e38s and just recently an e78.
-
morfi
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
- cars: Insignia 2014
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
superb!gmtech825 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 5:46 pm E82
I can get some e92's and probably at least one more e78.
Code: Select all
serial: 1A18267182671260 shadow: 794E74784343554EI'll appreciate that. As for the e38's, I'm not sure they have shadow region (and thus password). Could someone confirm?fl0wl0w wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 5:50 pm I'll get you a few when i get back to the bench, probably on Sunday. I have 4 or 5 e92s, a couple e38s and just recently an e78.



-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)
E38/E67 do not have a shadow password so they cannot be locked like that
Anything newer such as E90/E93/E99 ect cannot have the passwords read out through conventional methods like a kernel (As done with all older ECUs), all those passwords all run a AES style algo regardless so they cannot be worked out even with multiple confirmed serial and password combos.
Anything newer such as E90/E93/E99 ect cannot have the passwords read out through conventional methods like a kernel (As done with all older ECUs), all those passwords all run a AES style algo regardless so they cannot be worked out even with multiple confirmed serial and password combos.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
