looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
User avatar
morfi
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
cars: Insignia 2014

looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by morfi »

I'm working on an open-source shadow password calculator for Delco ECMs, and I'd need your help getting some serial/password pairs to work with.

The first version of the calculator will be for E39/A, E98, E84, and hopefully E78.
I have a pretty good number of test cases for all of them except the E84 (the most wanted E84s are the ones with trailing number >= 1000, ie. 4th last digit not "0"), but I'd appreciate any pairs you have -- the more, the merrier.

current status: 100% working E39, 90% working E98 (need more test cases), 80% working E84, 0% working E78.

If you have any flash dumps lying around in your database, I'd very much appreciate it if you could share the serial/password pairs here.

I don't have any bricked modules myself, but I've already seen so many requests for this, and I loathe the idea of such "features" being behind a paywall. (I could go further into the automotive "PM-me-for-price / password-for-money / I-can-do-it-for-you-but-won't-tell-you-how-I-did-it" community standards, but I don't want to get political here...)
Last edited by morfi on Sat Aug 08, 2026 9:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
Image
Image
Image
gmtech825
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by gmtech825 »

You just need the serial number and shadow password combo's?
User avatar
morfi
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
cars: Insignia 2014

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by morfi »

gmtech825 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 2:01 pm You just need the serial number and shadow password combo's?
correct, eg.

Code: Select all

8114015842057515 / ED35AC36ABF6AC76 / E98
Image
Image
Image
gmtech825
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by gmtech825 »

Sorry I dont know the serial number location for the e98
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmtech825
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by gmtech825 »

also dont know the serial number location for this e78
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
morfi
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
cars: Insignia 2014

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by morfi »

gmtech825 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 4:31 pm Sorry I dont know the serial number location for the e98
gmtech825 wrote: also dont know the serial number location for this e78
I've got you. Thanks a lot!

Code: Select all

$ strings e98_flash.bin | awk '{$1=$1; if (length($0) == 16) print}' | sort -u
1125017746780722

$ strings e78_flash.bin | awk '{$1=$1; if (length($0) == 16) print}' | sort -u
86AB3XK141343R73

$ xxd -c1000000 -u -p e98_shadow.bin | sed 's/FF//g; s/........$//g'
ED366BF72C37ECB5

$ xxd -c1000000 -u -p e78_shadow.bin | sed 's/FF//g; s/........$//g'
2307D59F5E834A5B
Image
Image
Image
gmtech825
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by gmtech825 »

E82

I can get some e92's and probably at least one more e78.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fl0wl0w
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm
cars: L83/8L90 swapped 2013 W204 Mercedes, 1986 LS3 Swapped BMW E30, 1995 LS swapped GMC Truck, Custom Vehicle

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by fl0wl0w »

I'll get you a few when i get back to the bench, probably on Sunday. I have 4 or 5 e92s, a couple e38s and just recently an e78.
User avatar
morfi
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2025 7:17 pm
cars: Insignia 2014

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by morfi »

gmtech825 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 5:46 pm E82

I can get some e92's and probably at least one more e78.
superb!

Code: Select all

serial: 1A18267182671260 shadow: 794E74784343554E
fl0wl0w wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 5:50 pm I'll get you a few when i get back to the bench, probably on Sunday. I have 4 or 5 e92s, a couple e38s and just recently an e78.
I'll appreciate that. As for the e38's, I'm not sure they have shadow region (and thus password). Could someone confirm?
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: looking for your shadow passwords (E84 and more)

Post by Tazzi »

E38/E67 do not have a shadow password so they cannot be locked like that :thumbup:

Anything newer such as E90/E93/E99 ect cannot have the passwords read out through conventional methods like a kernel (As done with all older ECUs), all those passwords all run a AES style algo regardless so they cannot be worked out even with multiple confirmed serial and password combos.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image