Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by Charlescrown »

I have a VR V8 auto and can put the hsv program into the memcal but if I change any of the maps eg ignition timing and reload it into the memcal the car is in limp mode. Put the unmodified program back in and its fine. Is there a starting address when writing the program to the memcal?
Any help appreciated.
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by festy »

Is it a checksum issue?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by Holden202T »

sounds like you need to bypass the checksum
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by Charlescrown »

How do I do that?
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by Jayme »

set the "program ID" near the top of the constant list to AA, that will tell it to ignore the checksum.
User avatar
charlay86
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 am
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by charlay86 »

There should be an item in the XDF called "Engine Program ID - $11=VR - $AA=bypass checksum"
Change it from 0x11 to 0xAA
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by antus »

Added to the faq:

"Im working with a factory program, and if I run the factory bin as is, the car runs, but if I change something and try to start it, then its a no start. What might this be?"

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by Charlescrown »

OK I have changed the XDF file line 3 020011 DescSize = 0xAA. It was 0x1.
I hope I am doing the right thing.
Whats next?
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by Charlescrown »

Not sure if I was supposed to actually change the XDF. I can see the program ID but I can only change it to a number.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal

Post by VL400 »

Nah leave the XDF item as 0x01, if you cant change the item to 0xAA make it 170 (0xAA is a hex number, 170 is the decimal equiv). Its likely that the XDF item is not defined as a hex item so cant use any letters.