I have a VR V8 auto and can put the hsv program into the memcal but if I change any of the maps eg ignition timing and reload it into the memcal the car is in limp mode. Put the unmodified program back in and its fine. Is there a starting address when writing the program to the memcal?
Any help appreciated.
Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
Is it a checksum issue?
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
sounds like you need to bypass the checksum
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
How do I do that?
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
set the "program ID" near the top of the constant list to AA, that will tell it to ignore the checksum.
-
charlay86
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 am
- cars: VT S1 SS (L67)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
There should be an item in the XDF called "Engine Program ID - $11=VR - $AA=bypass checksum"
Change it from 0x11 to 0xAA
Change it from 0x11 to 0xAA
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10016
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
Added to the faq:
"Im working with a factory program, and if I run the factory bin as is, the car runs, but if I change something and try to start it, then its a no start. What might this be?"
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
"Im working with a factory program, and if I run the factory bin as is, the car runs, but if I change something and try to start it, then its a no start. What might this be?"
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
OK I have changed the XDF file line 3 020011 DescSize = 0xAA. It was 0x1.
I hope I am doing the right thing.
Whats next?
I hope I am doing the right thing.
Whats next?
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
Not sure if I was supposed to actually change the XDF. I can see the program ID but I can only change it to a number.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Problem with VR V8 Auto memcal
Nah leave the XDF item as 0x01, if you cant change the item to 0xAA make it 170 (0xAA is a hex number, 170 is the decimal equiv). Its likely that the XDF item is not defined as a hex item so cant use any letters.