another Alfa Romeo conversion

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by festy »

It wasn't idling :(
The exhaust valves are liquid sodium filled and have a habit of losing their heads on contact and making a real mess of the combustion chamber and pistons, but they look to be in one piece still so as long as there's no piston damage then it'll just need a new set of valves and cams.
Not really sure why it happened - I was driving it a couple days ago and nothing has changed except the alternator...
Kind of regretting changing the cams over now :(
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by Holden202T »

you just can't win!! hopefully its as minimal damage as possible!!
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by festy »

4 bent valves, but the head is r/s due to a lunched cam journal :rant:
Pistons and liners look ok though...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by Holden202T »

nasty!

didn't you have another head ?
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by festy »

Yep, but 7 of it's valves don't seal, and it needs injector reliefs cut into the inlet ports so no quick head swap for me...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by Holden202T »

ahh right, well ..... burn it :P
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by festy »

Camshaft:
broken_cam.jpg
Cam sprocket has shifted - tabs bent and the lock bolt is probably in the sump
vernier.jpg
Rear exhaust cam journal chewed out:
bearing.jpg
Head off, cams out - spot the bent valves...
bent_valves.jpg
I've got the head off my spare block and valves out - guides are r/s but the seats look like they'll come up ok.
The valves didn't look too flash when they came out, so I'm now considering a decent porting and big valve setup rather than just slapping it back together, but will depend on finances...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by festy »

7 months later, I've finally made a bit of progress :oops:

New head decked, new guides, seats cut, slightly hotter cams ready to go:
head1.jpg
head2.jpg
Almost there...
newhead.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by festy »

I haven't been able to do much with the alfa since getting it running again - my new house is in a quiet, respectible suburb and just starting the engine gets me scowls from the neighbors :(
But today I noticed that my bike's muffler fit nicely on the end of the alfa's exhaust - and although it's still loud, it's quiet enough for me to idle the engine in the garage without getting the cops called ;)
muffler.jpg
This meant I could get the engine up to temp and check a few things out finally.
All looked good, no leaks or overheating - there was a horrible metallic noise which I tracked down to being valvetrain noise being amplified by the plenum - if I put my hand on the plenum it stopped resonating and the sound went away :?

I gave my datalogger a bit of a test, I'm pretty pleased with how it's going but I still need to sort out the decimal point for the bignum font - it currently displays as a zero.
dash1.jpg
dash2.jpg
dash3.jpg
and I finally got around to mounting my tacho
tacho.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: another Alfa Romeo conversion

Post by Holden202T »

she looks good!