VL RB30 NA

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

VL RB30 NA

Post by engybenjy »

I was wondering if you guys can set me in the right direction to work on a VL RB30 NA,
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I know there was a RB30 type bin around & may have a copy but I haven't even looked at the PCM yet as I think I PM'd Jayme & it sounded too complicated?!
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by engybenjy »

yeah I have heard there is soldering involved..
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by Jayme »

there is an XDF around for them, you can unsolder the chip, its a 27c128, replace it with a socket, reprogram it with a burner. The problem is they never came with any sort of consult or data logging interface. so wahtever you do you are doing it blind... the only way to get a data log is to go and buy nistune for it, in which case, for the cost, you may as well have converted it to delco imo :P
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by antus »

or use a chip emulator like a moates ostrich and do it on a dyno with it reporting torque and wideband data. But, i'd still convert to delco or nistune.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by engybenjy »

Sweet I have an Ostrich so I might have a go at looking into it and maybe reading the chip and look for an XDF that looks right
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by antus »

theres an xdf right at the top of the holden xdf thread. not sure how right it is. let us know how you go.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by engybenjy »

ok hes going to post me a computer and I will suck it and see. might be a week or two and if there is soldering required I might need a hand on that side of things, will see.
User avatar
charlay86
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 am
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by charlay86 »

you'll still need to solder in a socket to use the ostrich (unless of course someone else has beat you to it!)
engybenjy
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop
Location: Benalla

Re: VL RB30 NA

Post by engybenjy »

I believe that soldering in the adapter is a little bit fiddly and you can cause damage?