VT-VX Clusters

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Tazzi »

mattyc wrote:Hi guys, I have mine and my old mans vt's which both have clusters failing, screens are dying and service errors appearing, I have a gq4x programmer, also have access to tech2 and ultrascan scan tools, I have purchursed clusters for both cars, I have programmed all the settings except changing the odometer which no scan tool allows you to do, reading through the thread looks like I'm going to need to remove the chip from the board or at least a few legs? No one has worked it out through the obd plug or cluster plug? Also I think one of the clusters I have brought are later vx ones, both cars are series 2 vt, any help would be appreciated, thanks
Sounds like youll have to manually configure the cluster/s using a programmer

Not to point out the obvious, but there will never be a public method for changing editing a clusters odo through the vehicles obd... for the pure fact that it would be utterly abused, not to mention how illegal such software would be.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
Behold
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am
cars: HSV VTII

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Behold »

Hi there

Im new on here and have a VTII 3 window cluster. I take it I will need to take this out to work out if its eeprom or NEC?

Anyone know how to change the mode from KM to MPH mainly MPG rather than l/100km. This would be my main priority. I would also need to change the mileage if I can get this working as it would change my KM in to M and be wrong. I think the information in here should help that easy enough.

Thanks
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Tazzi »

Behold wrote:Hi there

Im new on here and have a VTII 3 window cluster. I take it I will need to take this out to work out if its eeprom or NEC?

Anyone know how to change the mode from KM to MPH mainly MPG rather than l/100km. This would be my main priority. I would also need to change the mileage if I can get this working as it would change my KM in to M and be wrong. I think the information in here should help that easy enough.

Thanks
Im guessing that would be a matter of changing the clusters "region".. Assuming that functionality is there. The VY/VZ clusters had a region choice that could be configured in the tech2, I think the kms<->miles value could be swapped that way.

From memory, the tech2 had next to nothing for choices for the vt/vx clusters. Doesnt mean its not possible but dont recall the option
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
Behold
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am
cars: HSV VTII

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Behold »

The markings on the LCD exist on all 3windows for miles. Also mpg. And it seems kmpg for those interested. Even that at a minimum would work as that at the moment would show as mpg due to a speedo healer. L/100km is not a method of fuel.

Bit if region could be changed that would be perfect. Assuming that the dial would not matter as you can set the pulses in the PCM for the mile count.
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Tazzi »

Ok then there is the choice of changing regions then. Although you will have to do alot of trial and error to find where that location is in the eeprom.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
Behold
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am
cars: HSV VTII

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Behold »

If my dash is eeprom based and i screw up the data on it. Im right in saying a full backup of the data can be restored making playing safe to do?
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah pretty much, if you got a full dump of the eeprom before the crash, should be safe to restore from!
Behold
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am
cars: HSV VTII

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Behold »

Thanks. Guess I need to buy some kit!!

Whats my best option as I need the car to be running more often than not so need to be able to keep returning the dash to service. Here in the UK a second cluster is like gold dust!
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Tazzi »

Then you will want to take multiple reads to make sure the dump is correct. Also, from whats been said, you cannot read the eeprom on the board and eeproms dont really do well after trying to take them off after a few times, the legs begin to weaken and snap!
A good quality eeprom programmer is the willem gq-4 usb pogrammer. A cheapo serial programmer for $15 will work.. although is very slow and less reliable.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
mattyc
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 10:26 am

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by mattyc »

have just read a wh statesman tripple window cluster with 239,xxx kms, more info about it, 6 loop srs, 3.07diff, gen 3, automatic, police mode not activated, i shall try and get some reads off other clusters i have laying around also, and ill try and hook a dlc connector up and program some different options to view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.