Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
vc81
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
cars: vn v6

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by vc81 »

Awesome ride vl400 :punk: Just curious what brand are those strut tops as I've never seen them before? Also what spring rates do you run on the coilovers in the front?
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by VL400 »

vlad01 wrote:may i suggest using superpro bushes. They will shit all over those in durability and functionality.
I have had my mine since 09 with over 150k of rough as guts terrain and they are still going good.
Since '09? Should still be like new! :lol: Decided to stick with the Nolathane brand as I was pretty happy with the last lot, they are over 11 years old (I bought the car in '02 so dont know exactly how old they are). The only ones that really failed were the Noltec strut tops which lasted about 7 years, they just crumbled to nothing which was pretty poor (and dangerous as the strut fell out of the mounting when jacked up). The upper control arm bushes were starting to go the same way and replaced them a couple of years ago. The rest either had the crush tube slightly loose in the bushing or showed a small crack starting. Still had a fair few factory rubber bushes installed which were well and truly stuffed!

This is the worst of them..
600_5458.jpg
The rest look like this..
600_5456.jpg
vlad01 wrote:..the superpro aka Fulcrum bushes are a superior material, have knurling for grease retention which works great...
Nolathane have knurling also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by VL400 »

vc81 wrote:Awesome ride vl400 :punk: Just curious what brand are those strut tops as I've never seen them before? Also what spring rates do you run on the coilovers in the front?
They are cheapies, XYZ brand. There are not many off the shelf solid strut tops. KMAC also make some but other than that could not find much.

Current spring rate is 400lb/in but will be dropping that to 300ish for street use.
vc81
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
cars: vn v6

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by vc81 »

Yea I had trouble finding some solid ones too. These are what I am using.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by Holden202T »

I had a similar result with Torana crossmember to chassis bushes, literally crumbled away!! I can't remember what brand they were though!
trikky73
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am
cars: VS V6 Sedan

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by trikky73 »

I know a few people that have had the same thing happen with the Nolathane bushes, they just crumbled
I have been using the Whiteline ones(look like they are make from cola - semitransparent) for a few years now and they still look like new
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by vlad01 »

VL400 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:may i suggest using superpro bushes. They will shit all over those in durability and functionality.
I have had my mine since 09 with over 150k of rough as guts terrain and they are still going good.
Since '09? Should still be like new! :lol: Decided to stick with the Nolathane brand as I was pretty happy with the last lot, they are over 11 years old (I bought the car in '02 so dont know exactly how old they are). The only ones that really failed were the Noltec strut tops which lasted about 7 years, they just crumbled to nothing which was pretty poor (and dangerous as the strut fell out of the mounting when jacked up). The upper control arm bushes were starting to go the same way and replaced them a couple of years ago. The rest either had the crush tube slightly loose in the bushing or showed a small crack starting. Still had a fair few factory rubber bushes installed which were well and truly stuffed!

This is the worst of them..
600_5458.jpg
The rest look like this..
600_5456.jpg
vlad01 wrote:..the superpro aka Fulcrum bushes are a superior material, have knurling for grease retention which works great...
Nolathane have knurling also.


none of my nolthane did, they were smooth bored, had problems will all my nolthanes except the link pin bushes. cracking after 6 months, shells out of tolerance (too small when measured against stock) resulting in the bushes coming out of the control arms few time until I replaced them with super pro. strut tops cracked after 3 months although its still intact now, crush tube ID too big and worked loose all the time on the rear arms even with loctite and at least 1/3rd tighter than spec torque on the bolts.


I don't know what it is, environment? extreme harsh roads? but the nolthanes aren't up to the job on my cars lol

my shockers even died now and they were brand new in 08. they are noisy as and just don't work anymore.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by vlad01 »

VL400 wrote:
vc81 wrote:Awesome ride vl400 :punk: Just curious what brand are those strut tops as I've never seen them before? Also what spring rates do you run on the coilovers in the front?
They are cheapies, XYZ brand. There are not many off the shelf solid strut tops. KMAC also make some but other than that could not find much.

Current spring rate is 400lb/in but will be dropping that to 300ish for street use.

yeah I am looking at getting K mac for my VP, stage 2.

they seem much more durable than the sage 1. few people had the stage 1 crack the poly. stage 2 I have heard nothing but good from them.

stage 3 is solid but bit noisy and harsh for road use and I would imagine spot welds breaking with those and interior of the car falling to bits :lol:
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by VL400 »

Not so much empty space now...
600_5491_sm.jpg
600_5493_sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by delcowizzid »

nice is that the control centre box LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem