Toyota Powered VL Calais
-
vc81
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
- cars: vn v6
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
Awesome ride vl400
Just curious what brand are those strut tops as I've never seen them before? Also what spring rates do you run on the coilovers in the front?
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
Since '09? Should still be like new!vlad01 wrote:may i suggest using superpro bushes. They will shit all over those in durability and functionality.
I have had my mine since 09 with over 150k of rough as guts terrain and they are still going good.
This is the worst of them.. The rest look like this..
Nolathane have knurling also.vlad01 wrote:..the superpro aka Fulcrum bushes are a superior material, have knurling for grease retention which works great...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
They are cheapies, XYZ brand. There are not many off the shelf solid strut tops. KMAC also make some but other than that could not find much.vc81 wrote:Awesome ride vl400Just curious what brand are those strut tops as I've never seen them before? Also what spring rates do you run on the coilovers in the front?
Current spring rate is 400lb/in but will be dropping that to 300ish for street use.
-
vc81
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
- cars: vn v6
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
Yea I had trouble finding some solid ones too. These are what I am using.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
I had a similar result with Torana crossmember to chassis bushes, literally crumbled away!! I can't remember what brand they were though!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
trikky73
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am
- cars: VS V6 Sedan
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
I know a few people that have had the same thing happen with the Nolathane bushes, they just crumbled
I have been using the Whiteline ones(look like they are make from cola - semitransparent) for a few years now and they still look like new
I have been using the Whiteline ones(look like they are make from cola - semitransparent) for a few years now and they still look like new
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
VL400 wrote:Since '09? Should still be like new!vlad01 wrote:may i suggest using superpro bushes. They will shit all over those in durability and functionality.
I have had my mine since 09 with over 150k of rough as guts terrain and they are still going good.Decided to stick with the Nolathane brand as I was pretty happy with the last lot, they are over 11 years old (I bought the car in '02 so dont know exactly how old they are). The only ones that really failed were the Noltec strut tops which lasted about 7 years, they just crumbled to nothing which was pretty poor (and dangerous as the strut fell out of the mounting when jacked up). The upper control arm bushes were starting to go the same way and replaced them a couple of years ago. The rest either had the crush tube slightly loose in the bushing or showed a small crack starting. Still had a fair few factory rubber bushes installed which were well and truly stuffed!
This is the worst of them.. The rest look like this..Nolathane have knurling also.vlad01 wrote:..the superpro aka Fulcrum bushes are a superior material, have knurling for grease retention which works great...
none of my nolthane did, they were smooth bored, had problems will all my nolthanes except the link pin bushes. cracking after 6 months, shells out of tolerance (too small when measured against stock) resulting in the bushes coming out of the control arms few time until I replaced them with super pro. strut tops cracked after 3 months although its still intact now, crush tube ID too big and worked loose all the time on the rear arms even with loctite and at least 1/3rd tighter than spec torque on the bolts.
I don't know what it is, environment? extreme harsh roads? but the nolthanes aren't up to the job on my cars lol
my shockers even died now and they were brand new in 08. they are noisy as and just don't work anymore.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
VL400 wrote:They are cheapies, XYZ brand. There are not many off the shelf solid strut tops. KMAC also make some but other than that could not find much.vc81 wrote:Awesome ride vl400Just curious what brand are those strut tops as I've never seen them before? Also what spring rates do you run on the coilovers in the front?
Current spring rate is 400lb/in but will be dropping that to 300ish for street use.
yeah I am looking at getting K mac for my VP, stage 2.
they seem much more durable than the sage 1. few people had the stage 1 crack the poly. stage 2 I have heard nothing but good from them.
stage 3 is solid but bit noisy and harsh for road use and I would imagine spot welds breaking with those and interior of the car falling to bits
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
Not so much empty space now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais
nice is that the control centre box LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem