304 Power Curve

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Grim304 »

Image
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Holden202T »

looks like its taking shape quite nicely!

is it for some form of racing ?
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Grim304 »

drag racing initially but will likely do a few hill climbs and club days, speed events whatever comes along,
Image
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Grim304 »

I had a chance to get my VR SS Auto on the dyno today and was impressed with the flat line for HP but still want more breathing.
I am about to change my intake manifold so I can attack my original and see if I can make a better one.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjtENOUyl50[/youtube]
Image
Image
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Grim304 »

Well I have started on the right track to build a Street Happy Fun V8, it was running 14.3-14.4@98-97mph all day long without slicks and with no changes to how it's driven on the street.
The next mod will be the interesting one as it will be the intake manifold.
165kW at the wheels is ok for a stock dished piston 9.3 compression 304 but it's way short of what it can be and I will continue to tinker until I get the kW over 200 at the wheels.
I am still focusing on this performing about 1 second quicker in the quarter but it may take new headers and roller rockers to get it there I think but I am trying to get as close as that as possible without them.

Image
Image
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Holden202T »

try slicks first then ;) it'll probably give you the one second :D
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by delcowizzid »

and valve springs will help that powercurve emensly
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Grim304 »

Slicks would slow me down further and Valve springs have been done and should be good for 7500rpm all day :)

The tires do smoke a little especially when I hit 3rd gear in the burnout ;)
These things, I was told by the guys I have bought my tires for the past 10 or more years, would smoke but give good traction and they are right again!
Image
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by delcowizzid »

did you play round with timing on the dyno
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Grim304
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm
cars: BMW E34 535i Manual
Chevette Turbo 202 Project
Mazda Familiar
VR SS 304
1973 Suzuki TS100K

Re: 304 Power Curve

Post by Grim304 »

delcowizzid wrote:did you play round with timing on the dyno
Yep, 11 runs and each one was a little tweak on fuel and spark
Image