Interesting setup!! Certainly changes the look of the engine.
To run a commodore V6 ignition module you have no choice but to fab up an 18x and 3x trigger that is identical to the setup on a commodore. There are other options on US cars, the trigger is MUCH simpler.
Can find more info here on both trigger types .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=128
Trigger points for CAS.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
-
GH1176
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am
- cars: 1974 Holden Torana LH SL
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
Ok, so 18 pickups is all I need is that with only one sensor or three?
-
GH1176
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am
- cars: 1974 Holden Torana LH SL
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
I'll get my hands on an old one off a VN and just copy it, if I make a disc out 3mm plate and then just put the notches in the right place it should work.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
You'll need both the 18x and 3x pulses so two sensors/two reluctor rings. If either are missing on startup there won't be any reference pulses sent to the ECU.
It's much easier to use a D1928A ignition module, just one sensor and 7 teeth.

It's much easier to use a D1928A ignition module, just one sensor and 7 teeth.
-
GH1176
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am
- cars: 1974 Holden Torana LH SL
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
I just don't want a distributor and I'm up for a challenge.
But I'll work it out thanks for your help as it makes more sense now.
But I'll work it out thanks for your help as it makes more sense now.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
Fair enough, I'd be interested in seeing how you go with it. One ring on the front and the other on the rear of the balancer should be easy enough, as long as you can get them phased closely enough.GH1176 wrote:I just don't want a distributor and I'm up for a challenge.
But in case you were under the impression that the D1928A module still needed a distributor, it doesn't. It's just like a vn commodore module (even uses the same coils) but has a simpler trigger requirement.
-
GH1176
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am
- cars: 1974 Holden Torana LH SL
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
If that's the case I would most Likely use it as I thought this was the only way I could use six coils.
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
this thread is your friend
http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=128
quite an easy trigger to make and many of us have used this moduel in the 4 cyl and 6 cyl version with no problems.
http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=128
quite an easy trigger to make and many of us have used this moduel in the 4 cyl and 6 cyl version with no problems.
-
GH1176
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am
- cars: 1974 Holden Torana LH SL
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
So looking at the 7 point ring I could just make the notches in the V grove of the balancer as I'm using a gilmer drive which bolts too the front and the V drive won't be used.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Trigger points for CAS.
theres a chance the outer part of the balancer could spin, I wouldn't trust it!
I would personally use a plate between the balancer and the gilmer pulley and put the right amount of slots on it....
if you want the 3 x and the 18 x like a V6 then put the 18 x on the front and make up a setup on the flywheel for 3x.... would make mounting stuff a bit easier .... but either way without some sort of after market ignition module its not going to be overly easy!
I would personally use a plate between the balancer and the gilmer pulley and put the right amount of slots on it....
if you want the 3 x and the 18 x like a V6 then put the 18 x on the front and make up a setup on the flywheel for 3x.... would make mounting stuff a bit easier .... but either way without some sort of after market ignition module its not going to be overly easy!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread