vp tachometer wiring to ls1

Wiring diagrams and questions
jca
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:14 am
cars: HQ monaro
vz ss thunder
ve ss sports wagon

vp tachometer wiring to ls1

Post by jca »

Hi I'm trying to hook the tachometer out put wire from a ls1 to the vp std tachometer in the dash has any one done this
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: vp tachometer wiring to ls1

Post by festy »

Is the VP tacho a v6 or v8 version?
I'd assume the ls1 tach signal is ttl, so you'd need to modify a v8 tacho to use the v6 style signal?
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: vp tachometer wiring to ls1

Post by VL400 »

Also by default the LS1 tach output is only 2 pulses per rev, so V8 tach will read half RPM. I think this can be adjusted in the PCM calibration.
jca
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:14 am
cars: HQ monaro
vz ss thunder
ve ss sports wagon

Re: vp tachometer wiring to ls1

Post by jca »

It was a v8 car yep ls1 reads like 4cyl but I can change with efi live found the ls1 output but not sure which wire is the tachometer wire on the cluster