CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Charlescrown »

This van is making me envious. Turning out to be a great project. As far as the police pads it's just that a bigger surface area gets rid of more heat under heavy braking but does not improve normal braking. I have a VR and the same thing with the police pads but no one had them so I put VT brakes in it as it did not stop when towing the car trailer.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlad01 »

They really do bite into the rotors, when hot they make a nice groaning sound and really put up hard. Like the pads are welding themselves tot he rotors lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

Charlescrown wrote:... as it did not stop when towing the car trailer.
i'm inclined to think that there is an issue with the trailer brakes or you were towing more than the car is rated to ?!?!? :thumbup:
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by HQ355 »

I believe him, I had a VR 5.0 years ago when they were a very new car and the brakes were shit. My HQ pulled up better and couldn't believe that brakes on a much newer car were worse. When the VT's came out I put them on straight away and it was night and day, best thing I ever did to that car
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:I believe him, I had a VR 5.0 years ago when they were a very new car and the brakes were shit. My HQ pulled up better and couldn't believe that brakes on a much newer car were worse. When the VT's came out I put them on straight away and it was night and day, best thing I ever did to that car

Did it have ABS?
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by HQ355 »

No abs mate, does it make it different ?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlad01 »

My mate about 5 years ago had a vr with ABS, even with the bendix ultimate it did not stop.

both feet on the pedal as hard i could, took 3 times the distance as my VP with non abs. Its hard to convey just how bad they were, about as crap trying to stop with hand brake alone I guess.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Charlescrown »

Even without the trailer the brakes were crap. I tried a few brands of pad and still crap. The car has ABS and IRS but when you put Sigma Pads on A Commodore which is about 300kg heavier what can you expect. I have been in the game for a long time and from my experience most pads stop the same in normal driving situations except for some extreme cases. I believe the VR was under braked and the fix was the VT. I didn't change the master cyl so yes the pedal is a little soft but I can live with that. Having driven VX and VY I think Holden built in the spongy pedal. If you push really hard the firewall flex allows the pedal to almost touch the floor. When driving it's not the case because of booster assist.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlad01 »

what about falcons? they were way more under braked than circa vr models.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Dylan »

My parents had an ef falcon and it braked well, better than vr commodore. They had a bf falcon as well and as good as vy vz commodores brake the falcon is better again.
I dont no what ford do different all PBR components and very similiar to look at but perform better.