CF Bedford Van
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Bedford CF Van
This van is making me envious. Turning out to be a great project. As far as the police pads it's just that a bigger surface area gets rid of more heat under heavy braking but does not improve normal braking. I have a VR and the same thing with the police pads but no one had them so I put VT brakes in it as it did not stop when towing the car trailer.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Bedford CF Van
They really do bite into the rotors, when hot they make a nice groaning sound and really put up hard. Like the pads are welding themselves tot he rotors lol
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Bedford CF Van
i'm inclined to think that there is an issue with the trailer brakes or you were towing more than the car is rated to ?!?!?Charlescrown wrote:... as it did not stop when towing the car trailer.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Bedford CF Van
I believe him, I had a VR 5.0 years ago when they were a very new car and the brakes were shit. My HQ pulled up better and couldn't believe that brakes on a much newer car were worse. When the VT's came out I put them on straight away and it was night and day, best thing I ever did to that car
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Bedford CF Van
HQ355 wrote:I believe him, I had a VR 5.0 years ago when they were a very new car and the brakes were shit. My HQ pulled up better and couldn't believe that brakes on a much newer car were worse. When the VT's came out I put them on straight away and it was night and day, best thing I ever did to that car
Did it have ABS?
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Bedford CF Van
No abs mate, does it make it different ?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Bedford CF Van
My mate about 5 years ago had a vr with ABS, even with the bendix ultimate it did not stop.
both feet on the pedal as hard i could, took 3 times the distance as my VP with non abs. Its hard to convey just how bad they were, about as crap trying to stop with hand brake alone I guess.
both feet on the pedal as hard i could, took 3 times the distance as my VP with non abs. Its hard to convey just how bad they were, about as crap trying to stop with hand brake alone I guess.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Bedford CF Van
Even without the trailer the brakes were crap. I tried a few brands of pad and still crap. The car has ABS and IRS but when you put Sigma Pads on A Commodore which is about 300kg heavier what can you expect. I have been in the game for a long time and from my experience most pads stop the same in normal driving situations except for some extreme cases. I believe the VR was under braked and the fix was the VT. I didn't change the master cyl so yes the pedal is a little soft but I can live with that. Having driven VX and VY I think Holden built in the spongy pedal. If you push really hard the firewall flex allows the pedal to almost touch the floor. When driving it's not the case because of booster assist.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Bedford CF Van
what about falcons? they were way more under braked than circa vr models.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Bedford CF Van
My parents had an ef falcon and it braked well, better than vr commodore. They had a bf falcon as well and as good as vy vz commodores brake the falcon is better again.
I dont no what ford do different all PBR components and very similiar to look at but perform better.
I dont no what ford do different all PBR components and very similiar to look at but perform better.