Bigblock SIDI?....

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Gareth »

Hi all,

Has anyone out there looked into the feasability of using a 3.6 alloytec with a 3.0 sidi top end?

Im sure the pistons are different in the shape of the crown, so that could pose a problem.

Not even sure if bolt patterns for heads are close, any body played around with these yet?

Love to hear your thoughts, cheers.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by vlad01 »

User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Holden202T »

what is the purpose of doing that ? other than maybe it might increase the compression if the heads are different I can't see any other benefit ? wouldn't it just be easier to get a 3.6ltr sidi motor ?
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Gareth »

Thanks for that, wasn't aware that they came in a 3.6, 210 kw standard!!!! - i think we will see more conversions soon...

Ok, anyone know the idea behind the horrible looking single exhaust port per head?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by vlad01 »

Biggvl wrote:Thanks for that, wasn't aware that they came in a 3.6, 210 kw standard!!!! - i think we will see more conversions soon...

Ok, anyone know the idea behind the horrible looking single exhaust port per head?
210kw is very detuned for aussie market, stock they can make around 340-350hp with good tune. This is the LFX engine. aka SIDI with integrated exhaust manifolds, lightened internals blah blah.

Good little article on it here.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lfx/

The most impressive thing I found was the weight, only 157Kg complete engine with accessories.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Gareth »

Wow, this looks like an even better proposition than i thought, need to keep my eyes open for a buggered one to play with, intergrated exhaust manifolds sound crap... But must work
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Gareth »

Looks too easy to mount turbos to, just a short adaptor from head to turbo!
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by vlad01 »

yep, but do you need turbos?

last i heard the older non SIDI can be pushed to 500hp NA with over 9000rpm.

I bet the SIDI can do better.
User avatar
Circlotron
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 am
cars: VP 5L LPG

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Circlotron »

I remember so well, back in the day, they were saying exhaust emission controls would mean the end of high performance engines. Looks like exactly the opposite happened.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Gareth »

Yeah, and with fuel economy!
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...