Bigblock SIDI?....

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by vlad01 »

yeah its about squeezing every bit of energy from the fuel as possible which also reduces emissions and fuel consumption when power is not in demand.
User avatar
Circlotron
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 am
cars: VP 5L LPG

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Circlotron »

Old side valve V8 Ford motors had all the valves located close to the valley and the exhaust ports went across the width of each bank to reach the outside. Those long, long exhaust ports were surrounded by water, and being a low compression motor the exhaust temps would be relatively high. Work them hard going up a decent hill and you could be sure of boiling over.

That integrated exhaust manifold thing, I wonder how much heat gets dumped into the water jacket because of them?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Holden202T »

vlad01 wrote:yep, but do you need turbos?

last i heard the older non SIDI can be pushed to 500hp NA with over 9000rpm.

I bet the SIDI can do better.
need maybe not, but would they produce more HP with one .... FUCK YEAH! :turbo:
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by HQ355 »

And at a lower rpm ! I have the "big block 3.6 210killlwer wasp" and it's a great motor, so smooth, revs great not bad on fuel bla bla, my wife's car is VZ SV6 with 190 ally tec and it's shit compared to mine. Feels so slow and unresponsive, we bought both new and I've given both a flogging like a red head stepchild and the sidi shits on it !
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Holden202T »

as you would hope heheh its the next generation of the same motor so you'd be disappointed if the older one was better!

the extra compression the sidi has will help it a lot with responsiveness, that's one of the biggest things I noticed when I upped the compression in my 202!
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Gareth »

as you would hope heheh its the next generation of the same motor so you'd be disappointed if the older one was better!
What about when they added emissions to Holden red motors, i remember them going backwards in performance big time!!
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:as you would hope heheh its the next generation of the same motor so you'd be disappointed if the older one was better!

the extra compression the sidi has will help it a lot with responsiveness, that's one of the biggest things I noticed when I upped the compression in my 202!

there are other changes as well, the heads obviously, they run bigger cams too. Intake changed somewhat. Iirc some improvements in the active valve timing which resulted in virtually flat torque curve from idle to full song, which means acceleration everywhere!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Holden202T »

Biggvl wrote:
as you would hope heheh its the next generation of the same motor so you'd be disappointed if the older one was better!
What about when they added emissions to Holden red motors, i remember them going backwards in performance big time!!
yeah well they got that all wrong in my opinion hehehe!
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Gareth »

The more I look at this, the sooner I hope the ecotec in the race car goes bang so we can play with one!

Just found a dead 3.0 at a workshop, gonna pick it up next week and pull it apart for a look, ill get some photos up then.

Anyone know about the bell housing bolt pattern, is it the same as anything?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bigblock SIDI?....

Post by Holden202T »

this might help ?
v6-sidi-engine-rear.jpg
interesting to note that its rear pan sump on these, alloytec in the VZ at least was front pan!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.