Knock sensor information needed
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Knock sensor information needed
That's great to hear so I can now proceed tuning. It makes it a bit hard to get a good result with the timing retarded. Now to fit the wideband and I should then know what direction I am heading with the tuning.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Knock sensor information needed
Just note that the LS1 sensor may be a different type, I dont have the specs. So just listen out very carefully for knock in case it does not work with the early style knock filter.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Knock sensor information needed
i think the ls1 sensor is tuned for a certian frequency where as the old commodore ones are just like a mic.they get more sensitive if you do them up to tight and they are meant to have some form of thread sealant i think which can also change there sensitivity.even the way they are mounted on ecotec could change there response being at a right angle to the block compared to straight in
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Knock sensor information needed
Well it does work. I just did a log and it shows some pinging. I am using a 6cly knock board I know many think they don't work but the calcs say it is very close to the 6cyl. I use the same on my VR V8 and have not shown any sign of knock false or otherwise so they definitely don't show false knock on a V8 but they might be a bit benign to show knock. I have used them on 4 cylinders before and have been very happy with the results.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Knock sensor information needed
Well I found out they don't work. I did some logging and saw some very unusual knock signals which were very spasmodic with no sensible pattern so I fitted the VN sensor and all is as it should be.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Knock sensor information needed
Thanks for the update. Pity it wasnt that easy to use a LS1 sensor.
A quick google, and looks like the LS1 sensors are resonant style tuned to the second harmonic. http://mtg-technologies.com/automotives ... 456288.htm
A quick google, and looks like the LS1 sensors are resonant style tuned to the second harmonic. http://mtg-technologies.com/automotives ... 456288.htm
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Knock sensor information needed
Interesting article. I have got the tune quiet nice at free revving and now time for a road test/log to start the next phase. I had issues when it just started logging this false knock and it made it hard to tune. I just did a log and tapped the head as it was running and it's working fine now with a VN knock sensor. Might rethink a circuit I made up for my race car using a LS1 knock sensor to trigger a dash light. I had issues with the circuit being too sensitive so might try a VN sensor.
-
monaro308
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
- cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV
Re: Knock sensor information needed
That Delphi flat knock sensor found on the hi feature-sidi and I think the gen 4 engines is the ones used at work bolted to the block with the 2 wires connected to a mini jack into the aux port of the stereo.
So while they are data logging they can at least verify an audible signal against the data logged signal from the KS.
Kind of a cool way to hear whats going on whilst keeping your eyes on the road.
So while they are data logging they can at least verify an audible signal against the data logged signal from the KS.
Kind of a cool way to hear whats going on whilst keeping your eyes on the road.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Knock sensor information needed
I so should hook up the one I have!!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Knock sensor information needed
makes me want to try that haha.