Vlad's rides thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yep, every 5-8K I did them and used the same oil from day dot.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
how many kays on it when u got it? did u oil flush ever?
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
psyolent wrote:how many kays on it when u got it? did u oil flush ever?
the seller claimed 89k on it and said he had it sitting around since 1998. It was clean as inside.
I ran run in oil for a bit then switched to HPR15.
Just got the cam out and its clean as! but has the typical lobe tip damage.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Post analysis time!
This is bs lol. How on earth is this still like a 50k engine on the bottom end?
I beat the absolute shit out of this and I expected the bottom end to be shredded and its perfect lol.
Added some pics of the cam damage. As well as damage from overheating resulting in seizure.
A testament to the engineering of these engines as well the high quality oil Penrite make. Those UOA were not wrong.
Remarkable!
This is bs lol. How on earth is this still like a 50k engine on the bottom end?
I beat the absolute shit out of this and I expected the bottom end to be shredded and its perfect lol.
Added some pics of the cam damage. As well as damage from overheating resulting in seizure.
A testament to the engineering of these engines as well the high quality oil Penrite make. Those UOA were not wrong.
Remarkable!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
that is amazing inside man wayyyyyyyy clean!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I know right and the crazy thing is even that brown staining just wipes off to reveal factory clean casting with just a rag.
This engine has over 300k on it now.
Do you want to have any bits? I only plan to keep the crank and rods. Your welcome to the heads and block. I already have some so I dont need them but its too good to toss.
This engine has over 300k on it now.
Do you want to have any bits? I only plan to keep the crank and rods. Your welcome to the heads and block. I already have some so I dont need them but its too good to toss.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
nah i am good - thanks though
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
ejukated
- Posts: 426
- Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Looks good, I've always been impressed by high milage engines that have run Penrite including my own. I recently stripped 2 ecotecs that had similar usage and the Penrite on was nice and clean on the inside. Other was my mates which always ran cheap 20w-50 oil and there's was noticeable sludging that wasn't there when I built it almost 8yrs ago.
Is that failure mode common for Buick cams?
Is that failure mode common for Buick cams?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Yep, every high mileage buick cam I have seen has this case hardening coming away in my own experience.
Duggan's commented on this when i asked the question. That its the poor material the cam is made from considering the lifters do not suffer any damage. Only the cam does.
Duggan's commented on this when i asked the question. That its the poor material the cam is made from considering the lifters do not suffer any damage. Only the cam does.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yeah I think theres a lot to be said for using reasonable oil and regularly changing it!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread