Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

yep, every 5-8K I did them and used the same oil from day dot.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by psyolent »

how many kays on it when u got it? did u oil flush ever?
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

psyolent wrote:how many kays on it when u got it? did u oil flush ever?

the seller claimed 89k on it and said he had it sitting around since 1998. It was clean as inside.

I ran run in oil for a bit then switched to HPR15.

Just got the cam out and its clean as! but has the typical lobe tip damage.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Post analysis time!

This is bs lol. How on earth is this still like a 50k engine on the bottom end?

I beat the absolute shit out of this and I expected the bottom end to be shredded and its perfect lol.

Added some pics of the cam damage. As well as damage from overheating resulting in seizure.

A testament to the engineering of these engines as well the high quality oil Penrite make. Those UOA were not wrong.

IMG_2593_zpsdqiaxnvm.jpg
IMG_2594_zps4e9d0fez.jpg
IMG_2595_zps6z5kwl2c.jpg
IMG_2596_zps7piftlqr.jpg
IMG_2597_zpshconi3xt.jpg
IMG_2598_zpsxt2wehqk.jpg
IMG_2599_zpsvum2bghw.jpg
IMG_2600_zps4g7rtn8w.jpg
IMG_2601_zpszcb4igtu.jpg
IMG_2602_zpstspqznd2.jpg
IMG_2603_zpsr5ov7caa.jpg
IMG_2604_zpst9wz5if3.jpg
IMG_2605_zpsxmgwu12b.jpg
IMG_2606_zpsnpj4yufi.jpg

Remarkable!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by psyolent »

that is amazing inside man wayyyyyyyy clean!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

I know right and the crazy thing is even that brown staining just wipes off to reveal factory clean casting with just a rag.

This engine has over 300k on it now.

Do you want to have any bits? I only plan to keep the crank and rods. Your welcome to the heads and block. I already have some so I dont need them but its too good to toss.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by psyolent »

nah i am good - thanks though
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by ejukated »

Looks good, I've always been impressed by high milage engines that have run Penrite including my own. I recently stripped 2 ecotecs that had similar usage and the Penrite on was nice and clean on the inside. Other was my mates which always ran cheap 20w-50 oil and there's was noticeable sludging that wasn't there when I built it almost 8yrs ago.

Is that failure mode common for Buick cams?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Yep, every high mileage buick cam I have seen has this case hardening coming away in my own experience.

Duggan's commented on this when i asked the question. That its the poor material the cam is made from considering the lifters do not suffer any damage. Only the cam does.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I think theres a lot to be said for using reasonable oil and regularly changing it!