VP speedo

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

VP speedo

Post by HQ355 »

Over the last few months I've been swapping the guts of a VP (thanks Vlad) speedo in to a spare HQ housing. Found a spare couple of hours today and thought I'd get it working, got as much info about wiring as I could find and traced back all the pin outs of original cluster but no work ? Anyone got any ideas ? Does it need that board at the back that the taco goes through as well ? I put some power on speedo motor and it went off the clock so it still work fine it's just somthing in the wiring I'm missing. There's not much on the bet how there wired,it's mostly plug here and there and it works
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: VP speedo

Post by Jayme »

electronic speedo.zip

I did one once before. I followed this guide. you only need the speedo itself and the board that mounts behind it. the wires, you can lengthen and put the board somewhere else as it wont fit in the HQ speedo case.
its fairly easy to figure out the wires into the board, there is power, earth, input from VSS, and divide by 5 output back to pcm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: VP speedo

Post by HQ355 »

Thanks Jayme hopefully get a chance to have a crack at it tomorow
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: VP speedo

Post by HQ355 »

After a few intoxicating beverages last night the light bulb lit up, I only traced 3 wires out of the 5 on the speedo cluster and thought I assed it when I found earth, power and what I thought was vss input (it said 10 pulses on back of speedo pcb beside the 2 pulse circuit) after looking at cluster today and on another connecter there is one that just has vss, that is the one needed and all works a treat now !so if any one else is using a VN speedo for conversion you don't need the separate board on the back of the cluster, just 3 wires :)
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VP speedo

Post by Gareth »

Again, beer holds the answer :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: VP speedo

Post by HQ355 »

And a little help from jack :)
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VP speedo

Post by Holden202T »

i'll drink to that :D
User avatar
ralcool
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: VP speedo

Post by ralcool »

Ted Bullpitt did say "a job worth doing, is worth doing with a beer."
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: VP speedo

Post by HQ355 »

Leave the money on the fridge :)