GM 16216588 - Hacking

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
User avatar
quadstar87
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by quadstar87 »

Ordered up a Hakko A1141 hot air tip (not cheap) and 100x PLCC32 SMT sockets (cheap) today to get the Intel chips off the board. Now continuing the waiting game :(

I really hope I don't end up soldering 100 of these!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by antus »

Ive just updated the descrambler tool near the start of the thread to take in to account the highest bit (using a 1:1 mapping) as I found without it I could not run it twice on one of your images to scramble and get back to the original file. Thats now fixed. Of course even though its a 16 bit CPU, the 17th address bit is still used when addressing the top 64k.

I tried this fixed version on the original scrambled bin in this thread, and now the output passes has differing high bank after descrambling AND the checksum test passes on the output!

I can see that 10000->17FFF just contains 0xFF, not a copy of 0000->7FFFF. That'll keep things simple...

Ive put a new good copy of that bin, here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
quadstar87
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by quadstar87 »

Just a bunch of dis-assemblin' and XDF creation going on over here. No exciting updates until a soldering party on Friday hopefully.
User avatar
quadstar87
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by quadstar87 »

A lot of work happened today!

Got three of the bricked PCM's soldered :punk: Thanks to good old friends with weird tools!

The de-solder worked best at 300*C with the Hakko PLCC32 nozzle and we put the sockets on at the max rating in their data sheet....260*C with the straight nozzle down the center. And man does the conformal coating on these suck!!

Now the next hurdle: I got the intel fboot flash utility and my old NIC card to write the scrambled .bin's back onto the chips directly, but upon reading them back, the files don't match. I have no idea why but i'm going to assume I need a correct chip writer to proceed...or the chips were damaged in de-soldering even though they appear to erase/write properly.
IMAG3274.jpg
IMAG3278.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by antus »

Awesome work there!

Can you post up a read of a chip from a working pcm, one of your bins your writing, and a read back of what ended up on a non-working chip?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
quadstar87
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by quadstar87 »

antus wrote:Awesome work there!

Can you post up a read of a chip from a working pcm, one of your bins your writing, and a read back of what ended up on a non-working chip?
Edit--> I'm going to clean up all the chip legs again and re-visit this when I have a chance this weekend. I'm thinking some conformal coat crap may still be messing up the process. Two of the chips we de-soldered won't write successfully and the one that does is dumping an invalid file.

It is interesting that the file dump off two of the de-soldered chips has some good data when de-scrambled, but unfortunately they are now at least half-wiped because the cheapo Intel flash utility goes to town on them

Here's two of the stock chip reads that I'm assuming were botched by the Intel utility or some crap on the pins. It's sort of valid because they de-scramble to some extent. :typist:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
quadstar87
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by quadstar87 »

I double checked that the chips are clean and still no dice. Looks like the cheapo flash setup isn't going to cut it so I need to borrow or buy a good flasher that'll do these. Stay tuned!
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by Tazzi »

Looks like an absolute weapon of a tool your using for desoldering!. Wow!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
User avatar
quadstar87
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by quadstar87 »

Tazzi wrote:Looks like an absolute weapon of a tool your using for desoldering!. Wow!
Just a off-brand hot air station and the board is sitting atop a 1/4" aluminum plate that has an electric stove-top element controlled by a thermostatic 120v power supply via the thermocouple you see in the plate. It's good to know people that have these things! I supplied the plcc32 de-solder tip which was invaluable for not damaging the board/pads.

And now we know the process to replicate quickly if needed. Could solder new chips directly back on without sockets also if needed to un-brick (once the chip flashing is sorted out)
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking

Post by ejukated »

Just curious, what temp is the plate and why is it required