Camshaft Regrinding

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
brindo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Western Queensland

Camshaft Regrinding

Post by brindo »

Hi Everybody,
Just got a price from Brisbane to have a v8 camshaft reground and with postage there won't be much change from $400.

So has anyone got a recommendation for a camshaft regrinder and have an approx. price on what they had done?
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by HQ355 »

Ship it down to Clive Cams in Melbourne, $400 is very expensive for a regrind
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by vlad01 »

you'd get a billet cam from him for not much more.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by Dylan »

Even ring Crow Cams get a SV5000 spec cam for a bit less than that. Very tame cam but wakes them up nice.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by HQ355 »

I had one of those in my old WB ute, engine built to hsv specs and just a HSV tune and it flew for what it was
MAGP
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by MAGP »

Just buy a new cam and lifters, waste of money fluffing about regrinding an old cam when you can get a new one and lifters for not much more.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by Dylan »

New lifters and some LT1 springs will be all you need could even go a group a cam on that.
brindo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Western Queensland

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by brindo »

I am looking at hydraulic roller though - thats whats in it now only stock. Sadly nothing about them is cheap otherwise I would just buy something new.
I have an old VT 304 195 kw cam which I think is similar in specs to the SV5000 cam. I was hoping to get that reground but by the sounds of it, its not going to be worthwhile.

My old VS ute had that same 195 kw cam and it went alright but was hoping for something slighty larger to see how it goes.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by Dylan »

Crane do some hydraulic rollers
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Camshaft Regrinding

Post by HQ355 »

Give Clive cams a call, you'd be surprised how cheap he is and the quality is spot on. I run one and know a lot of others that do.