Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by immortality »

At least (in the end) it was a quick death.........
vlad01 wrote:I thought too its M78 but its M75 as per stamping on the gears.

I think the pinion length is same as M78 but in M75 form.
Isn't the M78 a bit of a misnomer?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:At least (in the end) it was a quick death.........
vlad01 wrote:I thought too its M78 but its M75 as per stamping on the gears.

I think the pinion length is same as M78 but in M75 form.
Isn't the M78 a bit of a misnomer?

Not that I know of. The falcon gear of the later years have gears stamped 0578 which is called "M78"

My gears all are marked 0575
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by immortality »

Yeah, well it's a misnomer when it comes to Commodores except maybe HSV as a mate recently had a diff built with parts that were originally from a HSV fitted with a Hydratrac diff and it had the larger pinion bearing which seems to be the only difference with the M78 gear sets.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

I got the call, its ready for pickup. will go and grab it Friday along with the axles from the other place.
Forced666
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:07 am
cars: Supercharged VY V6

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Forced666 »

if i had a gun, thats what i would of done to my last laptop. Instead it was hurtled across the room and jump on several times haha
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

I got 2 iphones and a kodak cd burner from that old PC to blow away still.
wozza
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:05 am
cars: VR commodore

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by wozza »

vlad01 wrote:I got 2 iphones and a kodak cd burner from that old PC to blow away still.
I find Iphone's respond better to C4 rather than lead :D
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

do you reckon you can retrieve a lead selfie on the phone some how?
wozza
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:05 am
cars: VR commodore

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by wozza »

na iphone's to slow for that ;) Prob be more fun to use a high speed camera filming the lead selfie...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Some updates finally.


Got the diff back a few weeks ago.

sanded it down to smooth the blasting roughness. Got a new cover from pick a part.

Gasket sorted blah blah.
IMG_1271_zpsvuvrx3cf.jpg
Also axles were shorten 7.5mm each. Pretty nice job.
IMG_1221_zpskqmyd033.jpg
Assembled and primed again after a good clean.
IMG_1272_zpshqb2k36z.jpg
And top coat of epoxy.
IMG_1275_zps3n9hlfuu.jpg
Shiny!!! :cash: :cash: :cash:
IMG_1277_zpstk6yegmw.jpg
Then the extra Xmas decorations hung up lol.
IMG_1300_zpsljtkh0vk.jpg
Finally got my sump done. Only took 18 months to machine the hole lol, hard to find a machine shop willing to do it straight away. Anyway good timing as this completes the whole drive train just as the diff is being finished.
IMG_1299_zpsvpgv8w7t.jpg
Was enlarging the holes to 8mm to fit the 5/16" bolts used on the buick, where they are 1/4" on the ecotec
Then the battery died half way lol. I used a step drill to pilot and center the first part of the hole, then a spot weld drill bit to "machine through" the rest of the way. Due to the spot weld bit design it acts like a hone as can be seen how the drill is fully anchored into the hole. Leaves a perfect straight clean hole without needing a mill.

They got to be pretty accurate as 5/16 in a 8mm hole virtually pins the sump in place from the tight tolerance, ideal for keeping it all nice and rigid.
f6f2987f-1561-4da9-9c3e-a8507fca50f9_zpsddn0ncnq.jpg
masked up for blasting. Will be ready for pickup tomorrow.

IMG_1301_zps4pt3qq3b.jpg

One axles done.
IMG_1315_zpsen5tzxd0.jpg
One more being done.
IMG_1316_zpshnn6y4kp.jpg
Oppsy! Exploded my pressing tool :lol:
IMG_1317_zpsbmeulram.jpg

And pretty much done for now.
IMG_1318_zpsxv1ka7rg.jpg

Time to celebrate with this new turbo for the lawnmower and some target practice. :thumbup:

IMG_1310_zpssxf768f0.jpg
IMG_1266_zpsqmeysuus.jpg
IMG_1267_zpsnceambbe.jpg
Intel insi.... I mean outside!

Literally shot the CPU? out of it. was laying next to the laptop after a few rounds at it.
IMG_1268_zps3rv9f5sv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.