FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
gibbo
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:57 am
cars: Fx Holden, Hilux 4wd VS V6 4l60-e LPG
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by gibbo »

This is awesome! Really enjoying watching the speed and quality of this build.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

thanks :)

I've just purchased some speedflow fittings that should allow me to screw directly into the fuel pump and connect to the surge tank in one fitting, that should then mean my fuel pumps are a good 50mm closer to the surge tank, and hense then my surge tank might fit in the boot .... or whats left of it :P

also been re-assembling the front end and tack welding it back onto the radiator support, but I'm missing a lot of bolts from this car so I am going to order a few kits from rarespares which should fix that issue :)

I also mounted up the transmission cooler, I think its a bit too big lol! when I bought it I thought I was getting the same size one that was on the gemini, apparently I got the next size up!
WP_20161211_13_06_09_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by immortality »

I don't think the transmission cooler can ever be to big, especially when your running a decent converter that will generate some heat sitting on the line.

Looking awesome (as always).

I used a hard line fitting with olive on a fuel pump inlet pipe which lets the pump screw directly onto the dash fitting on the surge tank, I just had to carefully flatten out the raised bit on the pump inlet pipe first :)
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by The1 »

yeh never to big i have a big one on mine and the heatup time isn't an issue either still gets to 60deg pretty quick which is hot enough for running temp.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I do enough idling in the staging lanes before a race to warm the box up :) and like you say, 5000rpm converter, plus stalling it up on the two step for a few seconds before a launch all makes plenty of heat!

with the fuel system, my brother used the correct ones on his which I didn't know where available when I did mine (maybe they weren't)

http://speedflowdirect.com.au/itemdetailspage/46269

906-10-M18 screws directly into the inlet of the bosch pump with an alloy washer then has a normal -10 AN fitting on other side to screw directly to my surge tank, on mine I have a metric to AN fitting on the pump, then -10 screwed to that, the shortest bit of rubber hose and then another fitting to screw to the tank!

once I get the fittings i'll get some before and after shots of the difference in length and how it fits the boot
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by The1 »

that was first thing i did on my rebuilt gearbox was to get rid of the stock lines, i removed the stock fittings on the box and put speedflow 1/4" NPT to -6AN, then a -6AN to 3/8" Hose.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I did the same on the V8 T700, makes it much easier to take it in and out.... plus I needed custom length and shaped lines so braided hose was the clear answer.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by VL400 »

What no stainless hardline :P Its so nice to work with, not!

The larger trans cooler should do the trick, scary to look at oil temps leaving the box sitting on the 2 step.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by psyolent »

sammy thats a thing of beauty right there. i almost had a moment when i saw that pic.

question ............ is there any issues mounting the trans cooler in front of the radiator ; i know its been done like that since day zero, but, i do wonder though about having the trans cooler in front of radiator like that ; restricting air to the radiator / having warm air going through it ....

i only ask as we had a limo come by a week or so ago for my sons graduation, it had coolers under the car with fans mounted to the coolers sucking air thru them.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

VL400, you can have your hard lines :P

I agree Greg on the cooler, I guess its no different to a A/C condenser or the normal auto cooler lines that go through the radiator tanks themselves .... I guess time will tell, it never ran hot before when racing, only in the staging lanes but I am hoping the fans I have this time plus slightly larger radiator than before means it wont be an issue.

the ebay ad for the Mondeo fans I got said something like 3000cfm, I assume that's for the two fans, and the gemini used to have 2 x 12inch davies craigs, there website says 847cfm each .... so if that's all correct, I'm going to be able to move just under double the amount of air now :wtf: