worst tune ever!

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by Holden202T »

doesn't seem to stop a lot of people..... it is a bit of a grey area though, I mean, we all expect a tune to be done properly like anything else .... but then people also want the lowest price, and I know I can't do a thorough test or the tune in all conditions in one arvo, so there are a lot of variables that you can then argue over ......
User avatar
rolls
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:22 am
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by rolls »

Holden202T wrote:doesn't seem to stop a lot of people..... it is a bit of a grey area though, I mean, we all expect a tune to be done properly like anything else .... but then people also want the lowest price, and I know I can't do a thorough test or the tune in all conditions in one arvo, so there are a lot of variables that you can then argue over ......
You are right. One full day is not long enough to do a good tune from scratch, there are way too many conditions that need testing, however no one wants to pay 8 hours labour to someone with a skillset that is reasonably difficult to find. You get what you pay for and most people dont want to pay.

There is a reason it costs GM about $1mil per vehicle/ecu they tune, it takes a shitload of time!
User avatar
80gus
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by 80gus »

I'd love nothing more than to name and Shame, as this tuner has done it to others including myself to gain work. Its not the first one of his I've seen that's way of the mark, but definitely his worst of seen yet, and this was his flagship big big $$$ build.
I feel I'm better than that tho and wont stoop to that level, hopefully word of mouth does its thing and the customer sets people straight.

I actually take a lot of pride in the tuning and in most cases take the customer for a drive and show them the AFR's and explain what it is and how it works, show them just how close the long and short terms are, then show them Knock Retard table ect. I think if they see how passionate I are, it gives them peace of mind the job is done correctly.
Its evident the tuner (if you could call him that) has totally ripped this guy off, example flow match a set of stock injectors $960 I had them tested the results are the same as a stock set of 8051's they where within 2% tho.
With the fuel pressure at 20 psi at higher RPM in effect it was only a flowing a max 250cc injector (Mitshubishi magna sort of shit) on a 433Cube motor. And the engine tick that concerns me that's been in it since the rebuild, the knock sensors that are across the board turned right back.
User avatar
rolls
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:22 am
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by rolls »

Is it possible the fuel pump is faulty? Eg the reason it is rubbish is only due to the pressure dropping off?

Or is this a pump that is known to be unable to supply that amount of fuel?
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by Charlescrown »

Probably something simple like a blocked fuel filter. After all they add $10 to the price of the job.
User avatar
80gus
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by 80gus »

2 maybe 3 dirty filters (Pre surge, pump, and inline) and a pump that was never going to cope with that volume, 2 creases in the fuel line, and wiring that was never up for the task simply a poor installation. The customer has a new fuel system being installed at the moment.
User avatar
krusty
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by krusty »

What pump and power feed is going to it?
User avatar
80gus
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: worst tune ever!

Post by 80gus »

krusty wrote:What pump and power feed is going to it?
VT fuel pump and cradle. Power wire is way to small and some creative earthing are the power issues i see.

Unsure if all VT pump are the same V8 vs v6 or what they flow