304 Roller Cam

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

304 Roller Cam

Post by Charlescrown »

Thinking of rebuilding my VR 304 and wonder if there are any roller cams that will work. I know of the lifter problem but see some manufacturers say they will fit 253 and 308 so surely they will fit the 304 or will I have to fit sleeves in the lifter holes. The block was not changed till the VT. Any info appreciated.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 304 Roller Cam

Post by vlad01 »

Call Clive cams, they do any sort of cam you want, top quality and reasonable price. Then just get a set of tie bar lifters. I think they could be the Pontiac 400 specs? so shouldn't be hard finding lifters.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 304 Roller Cam

Post by immortality »

Yes, Pontiac lifters are the same or rather Holden lifters are the same as Pontiac....

You can now get cam/lifter packages direct from the US for the 304's. Howards I think is the place.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 304 Roller Cam

Post by vlad01 »

There is these. Reduced travel and slow bleed off. Good for high performance and quiet operation.

https://johnsonlifters.com/Products/Hyd ... 12OPR.aspx


Out of curiosity, any know what the lifter bore centers are on these and 304?
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 304 Roller Cam

Post by Charlescrown »

Had a look at some of those cams. Quiet big in my books. I want something that's a little bigger than stock VT. Thanks for the info.