Soldering iron and retro hardware

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah mine's retro. 2003, had PCI and AGP.

Anything pre PCIe in my eyes is retro. Your stuff is more vintage I reckon.
Ken
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by Ken »

vlad01 wrote:Yeah mine's retro. 2003, had PCI and AGP.

Anything pre PCIe in my eyes is retro. Your stuff is more vintage I reckon.
Yeah you're probably right, I keep forgetting the car I own is now also considered vintage.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by antus »

Cyrix were pretty good until the pentium came along. I upgraded my AMD 486dx4/100 to a cyrix 586 back in the day, then overclocked it up to 120mhz. It wasnt stable but it started becoming more stable so I kept using it and after a week or two it was fine. I assume the cpu must have had some spare hardware in it, and maybe the bits that couldnt handle 120mhz were disabled... I dont know for sure, but it was pretty quick vs a 386 or 486. Then when the pentiums came out, software that needed floating point started gaining popularity and the 586 just could no longer keep up. I remember playing around with mp3s when they first came out. Clean up 50% of my 120mb hard drive, rip a single track to wav, then encode at 128kbit which took a day, with this crappy integer maths only software encoder. People with pentiums were smashing out way higher quality mp3s due to the floating point maths and they were doing it way faster!

Speaking of, I kept that 486 cpu and have it on my desk at work right now. I love how it says heatsink and fan required. Such a new concept!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by ejukated »

Ahh the old AM486-DX4-100 !

I lost track of how many of those BIOS backup Batteries next to the AT connector I've replaced due to leaking or blowing up.
Ken
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by Ken »

You could buy the 486 120mhz AMDs, from there they became DX5's then 5x86-133 and 160mhz.
I ran the chip third from the left for a few years on a mini AT 486 board, Abit PB4, the only 486 I'd seen that gave option to boot from a CD, though only from the F2 bios update.
I beta tested early Windows builds on it, I'd run the cpu at the 4x33 bus to install, then set the bus to 40 to run it at 160 mhz, never had a single issue with it.
Just couldn't install windows overclocked, would lock up at random stages of install, which it often never recovered from.
AM_5x86_133.JPG
ejukated wrote:Ahh the old AM486-DX4-100 !

I lost track of how many of those BIOS backup Batteries next to the AT connector I've replaced due to leaking or blowing up.
Nearly every 386/486 board I've scrapped over the years has been for that reason, all the motherboard circuit tracks would turn green with corrosion, so bad in some cases that keyboards or other functions stopped working altogether.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by vlad01 »

I always liked the AMD , Cyrix, ST and Texas Instruments variants as they were so much more interesting than the bog standard intel variants at the time.

Only intel of the period I find interesting and like is the pentium pro as it is the farther of modern CPUs with it's out of order execution, branch perdition and writeback cache, modern pipelines etc. The very stuff the modern intel and AMD CPUs use today.

To this day the Althon 64 was my fav architecture. And the good old Athlon XP.... mmmm Athlon :P
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by Gareth »

Should probably rename this tread 'retro PC porn' :lol:

Hey Ant, what's the busted axle from?..
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by vlad01 »

My collection of unused parts.

5 AMD Opterons, 2 Althon XP 3200+ (modded) and a mediocre flagship 1st gen Phenom, my first bad CPU.

And one dead BFG nvidia 6800 Ultra OC AGP board. BFG a legendary company that no longer exists, killed off by nvidia's own dirty practices

I got more but they are in stuff atm. Phenom II x945 and 2 more dual core Opterons. I had some de-lidded broken intel xeons but chucked them out as they were netburst architecture, no one wants netburst :lol:


IMG_0650.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by antus »

I liked the Athlon64x2. I had one of them for many many years and by the end of it speed was still good but limiting factor was that the motherboard chipset supported only 2G ram max.

@biggvl - its the other end of this viewtopic.php?f=16&t=651&start=10#p59299
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by ejukated »

Biggvl wrote:Should probably rename this tread 'retro PC porn' :lol:
Can we split it and rename the split? This brings back memories, would be good to be able to.easily find it in the future