Since the VS Ute I was driving prior to Christmas has encountered 2 unfortunate incidences leaving it looking like it belongs in the wreckers, I've had to source another set of wheels, a 2002 WH with 189k on the clock came my way and after driving it figured it was me.
After spending a bit over a K on it doing general servicing {Injectors, fuel/air filter, oil, auto service, brake fluid, battery,interior cleaners etc,etc} , I'm now thinking it's tune needs a bit of a tickle below the 2k mark when the car speed is slow.
A search on the forum here doesn't seem to reveal any posts of anyone tinkering with this model much at all.
Does anyone here sell the hardware I need to fiddle with the fuel and spark options, or is HP tuners or the likes my best option.
Thanks.
Options for 2002 WH LS1.
-
Ken
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
I'd start with going mafless & flashing the file in this thread in as it's a good starting point for all the regular goodies!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6090&start=40
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6090&start=40
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
if you want to do it yourself also take a look here: viewforum.php?f=42
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Ken
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
Yeah I had a look through the pcm hammer thread, though I see there's more than one option to interface into the pcm, not sure what the better option is or what lessens my chance to brick it..Holden202T wrote:if you want to do it yourself also take a look here: viewforum.php?f=42
I found this on gumtree, has anyone used this yet.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
Yes I have that package, it has worked well for me
-
Ken
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
Excellent, thanks, when the funds are available I'll give it a go then.Dylan wrote:Yes I have that package, it has worked well for me
-
Ken
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
I finally purchased the tool I linked above and dumped the bin from the PCM tonight, and although the OS version and BCC was the same as another dump I found somewhere on the forum here back whenever, VX LS1 running the same operating system, the binary actually differs a fair amount, specifically from hex "00004000" , some at "00008000 and 00014000" & a lot from "00016E00", wondering if I'm likely to run into problems with regards to the pointers in the XDF for the 12202088 OS.
I notice the moates.net sight states the "xdf's for the 12202088 do not yet fully support the 2002 PCMs." which mine is, March 2002 Series 2.
I'll post the binary dump & file comparison dump as an attachment below.
I notice the moates.net sight states the "xdf's for the 12202088 do not yet fully support the 2002 PCMs." which mine is, March 2002 Series 2.
I'll post the binary dump & file comparison dump as an attachment below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Ken
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
I wasn't aware that I could flash an entirely new OS / bin to my rig, which is why I didn't respond to your post.VX L67 Getrag wrote:I'd start with going mafless & flashing the file in this thread in as it's a good starting point for all the regular goodies!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6090&start=40
I just flashed the "12225074 VY HSV 285KW Clubsport Sedan Automatic 3.08 No Vats.bin" to the pcm, it's not the same car, I'm blown away.
The exhaust note, bottom end, top end, everything about this tune is wow compared to the cushy sluggish std tune, even felt the lsd work for the first time.
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
Yeah honestly I've tried it on a standard mod setup & is a GOOD starting point, I'd personally at a minimum change the VIN!
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Re: Options for 2002 WH LS1.
With that tool yes you can do a full bin write then a cal write. I’ve found the only time I’ve bricked these pcm’s with that tool is after flashing the efi o/s and then trying to bin write back to say the 285kw bin. Don’t know why it does that. If you do use the efi o/s keep in mind that the open loop commanded table is actually referenced rpm vs map not coolant. You then need to use the cos5 xdf and use the cos coolant multiplier. If you look in the vz ls1 bin or a lot of the USA camaro or corvette bins you’ll see that in power enrichment vs coolant they add fuel unlike they vy an earlier bins. I just copy that over into the cos5 coolant multiplier.