My First Lathe!

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

My First Lathe!

Post by Holden202T »

So for many years now i have wanted to get myself a lathe, but its always been one of those things that a welder or pipe bender etc was more important than to complete my tasks, so its been a bit further down the list than other tools, however it has finally come to the top of the list.
IMG_4548.JPG
IMG_4548.JPG (248.47 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
So once i got it home i set about modifying a bench i have, which had a grinder on one end of it but other than that was just a spot to pile shit up, so its certainly being suitably re-purposed now.

So i removed the grinder and board off the top of it.
IMG_4549.JPG
IMG_4549.JPG (267.29 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
I then worked out some spare steel i had that would be suitable to do what i needed to mount it.

The notches at the back and the fact it sits higher is to allow the drip tray to sit properly as it had a lip around the outside of it that was lower than the lathe mounting panel.
IMG_4551.jpg
As you can see a few mm of clearance under the drip tray, and holes/slots suitable for mounting.
IMG_4553.jpg
Fits on the bench very well, and there will be a nice bit of room left at the end of it to re-mount the grinder and probably some spots to store lathe accessories.

I also have a drill sharpener which doesnt really have a home so it will probably live here too.
IMG_4554.jpg
The lathe isnt super expensive, but it was in my budget and should cater for most things i need to do.

I has a 38mm spindle bore (most others were 20mm), powered longitudinal and cross feeds, a 600mm long bed, 230mm swing over the bed and almost too many options for cutting threads so im hoping it will be a good thing :)

You can rest assured i will post some more pics or a vid of it in action, at this stage i dont have any tools for it (9 piece tungsten tool set in the post along with a tailstock chuck) and at some stage i want to get a 4 jaw chuck for it too .... oh and probably a knurling tool ;)

Its funny alot of people i talk to ask me why i bought it, what i want to use it for .... i guess they just dont understand how many little things it will come in handy for over the years.

That said i would like to try and turn up some injector bosses (no particular need) and i have a few other things i'd like to try when i get my hands on some other materials just to see how it goes, and my brother gave me a 56mm diameter x 1.5mtr steel rod so i have plenty to play with ahaha!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: My First Lathe!

Post by immortality »

Nice. I've mostly had access at work so doing little jobs wasn't a problem when I'm on night shifts but it would so much easier doing shit at home.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Nice purchase mate I wish I had my own I use my mates old underpowered one to get stuff done but it's slow and not very accurate lol Most important thing is leveling it well so it doesn't cut tapers instead of nice parrellel cuts plenty of videos on how to level them properly.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I think thats what he used the carlton dry in the picture for...haha
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

It is on my list of stuff to get for my workshop once/if ever I get it setup the way I want!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Great purchase. I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I had it but I would love to find out.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Kinda interested what projects are lined up for this?!?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

nothing major at the moment but one thing i do want to do is machine the 3rd gear piston in a spare trimatic i have, you can machine a few mm off the face of it and then that allows more clutches to be installed.

Had a bit of time today to get the original bench top shortened and re-installed along with the back board and the grinder, tied up all the stuff in the area and just about ready to get machining once the tools arrive!
IMG_4559.JPG
Definitely going to need to get a light directly above the lathe though, theres just not enough there, and the one that is there is behind my head when im standing infront of the lathe!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Looking good.

Don't use a tube light fitting, they pulse and if it matches the revolutions of the job in chuck it can look like it's not spinning.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i was going to get some led lights probably.