3800 engine evolution video

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

3800 engine evolution video

Post by delcowizzid »

found this today has a variety of good info on the vn s1 model engine in the usa and the changes from the model before as well as good ignition system tests etc even a note on an added zenor diode to limit ignition output :D and check out the IAC block would suit conversions
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0batugOc0GM[/youtube]
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by vlad01 »

haha thats a blast from the past.

good balance shaft info there.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by Jayme »

interesting that the american model had sequential injection way back then, but the holdens didnt get that till way later.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by Gareth »

nice video!!! :thumbup:

is there anything out there like this for SIDI???
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by vlad01 »

yep, well alloytec anyway.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXVLbzI3xTE[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDoT2oVQUQ[/youtube]
Last edited by vlad01 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:interesting that the american model had sequential injection way back then, but the holdens didnt get that till way later.

Their setup is much like VT.

They talk a lot about timing retarding when driving hard.

That must be like RDSC. I got that turned off in my cars ;)
FXST02
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am
cars: VP V6 Auto sedan
Location: Perth WA

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by FXST02 »

That was interesting, thanks for posting.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by immortality »

Nice.

Holden always has short changed us when they borrowed stuff from GM :(

If I remember correctly, the US L27 made power/torque than our VNs1 engines using a smaller TB than we did.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Nice.

Holden always has short changed us when they borrowed stuff from GM :(

If I remember correctly, the US L27 made power/torque than our VNs1 engines using a smaller TB than we did.

its probably because of our shit fuel holden detuned them a bit, and I reckon leaned them to get the great economy that we did.

Also the L27 have banana manifolds over there that we never got, we got the LN3 manifold throughout the L27 run.

VN s1 were LN3 anyway.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by delcowizzid »

thought ide put this here too shows all the different harmonic balancers that are stupidly used over the commodore v6 all different http://www.docstoc.com/docs/107042626/B ... tification
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem