Steel welding/jig table build plus other projects

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Steel welding/jig table build plus other projects

Post by delcowizzid »

Now that the welder is going I thought I would build a steel welding table that can also be setup to hold manifold jigs etc and probably get a vice attached somewhere too.thanks to a mate who has an infinite supply of 50x50 in 2400 lengths it hasn't cost anything yet lol was going to be 1200x600 but I'm wondering if I leave it at 500 it's quite a nice looking size .might get some legs on it shortly if I can make up my mind on how high to make it lol
20180330_151245.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by immortality »

That is going to be one heavy mother....
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by delcowizzid »

She's got some weight all right lol thin wall luckily or she be a tank lol it's got legs tacked on just need to tweak a couple then fully weld it up
20180330_162541.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by immortality »

Put a couple of cross braces between the legs and make yourself a shelf underneath at the same time.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by delcowizzid »

Yeah will get some bracing and a shelf for sure
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thats definitely going to be solid :)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by vlad01 »

stacking all those box tubing together is a great idea! I might do the same for my bench that I have the frame and legs sitting around for about 4 years. I was looking for a 1/2 to 1" suitable plate for the top but havn't seen anything anywhere even close to it. I just wanted a solid work bench where I can mount a vice without the lot tipping over when I work on it and this might just work!
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by HQ355 »

1” thick !! Are you building a tank ?
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by delcowizzid »

Thick is good you just tack your parts down no flexing or nothing
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Steel welding/jig table build

Post by HQ355 »

Thick is good but you have to be able to lift it as well ! 12-16mm is about the average for industrial applications and I’ve never been able to flex one