POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by VL400 »

Cant wait to get off the congest RIM :rant: Middle of suburbia in a newish housing area and ADSL1 1500/256 is pretty much it in terms of plans - can pay more for 8mbit down but seeing as I never get close to the current max up/down speeds it is not worth the extra $$ per month.

One day we will be able to watch youtube in all its 360P glory without needing to pause for buffering :lol:
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by Holden202T »

Lol
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by The1 »

well you could do what i do, i pay for a VPS in the US 2TB month of bandwidth and this connection, i then use the VPS for most things anything else i download it to my PC through works 20/20 connection. VPS only costs me $120 year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by vlad01 »

I checked my map, the township of Kyneton will get fiber (go figure! no such thing as adsl1 here back in 2000) and wireless for the out of town area which I am not covered, doesn't surprise me as I don't even get mobile reception.

but................... I do get adsl 2+ @ 10.5Mbit at 9km from the exchange. how ?

like this

Image
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by Jayme »

WOW I used to get 5.5mbit 4 kms from the exchange. ive never heard of someone so far get such a quick speed from adsl2+ unless you are on a rim and the cabinet is a lot closer to you than the actual exchange?


EDIT: my bad LOL... I think I understand now... you had a friend close to the exchange and shared the connection over a nice high gain wifi antenna? nice idea.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by vlad01 »

yes I got a guy I know 4k up the road and we have had this setup since 06. He is 4.5km line length from the exchange but must have good lines to get these speeds and stability.If I replace the router for a broadcom chipset type I should increase speed even more

to this day I still can only get dialup on our lines at home. Probably ISDN as well lol
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by The1 »

i would believe 3 - 3.5km tops you can never tell with the pit routing.

Image
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by vlad01 »

as the crows fly his place to the exchange is 4+ km. Lines will be longer for sure. No RIMs as of yet in Kyneton. Mind you he is out in the farming region out of town like I am.

That chart is only a guide, wire gauge, interference levels and splices, line equipment all play a roll. Guess we got lucky.

My half brother next door at 8.5km line length got adsl1, but only just and after 5+ years of trying. The SNR and attenuation is terrible. I recall the attenuation was 68db

we have an attenuation of 35db and get the 10.5mbit
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by antus »

Yeah, I know a bloke who lives out in the country, and is on the only pair on the 30 core cable. Adsl goes a long way when there is no interference. And the clicks from the electric fences are too low frequency to affect the dsl. He did the same thing, about 5kms, then 24dbi wifi to the next farm. It worked quite well. Much better SNR and speed than in built up areas.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: POLITICS-BORING-BUT CONTROLS EVERYTHING

Post by vlad01 »

I this cos I had many arguments with dumb ass telstra people and their lack of support for people further than 4km line length. I said f you all, i'll make my own internet. And I did 8-)

Once they did come out to offer adsl under the broadband connect scheme and we said sorry, you were too slow lol.