FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by psyolent »

Yeah true aye re: A/C condensor. And pre-existing auto coolers eg: my VT track car.

Those Davies Craig fans are not all they are cracked up to be. SPAL and some of the factory fans eg: AU, EL are amazing and move a shed load more air. I had something similar on the V8 hilux which i pissed off in favour of a derale fan and never had a cooling problem again thereafter.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Dylan »

I've had good success with the mondeo on commodores. Also heard good things about the BF singke fan set up. Whats with all the ford stuff??
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by The1 »

Dylan wrote:I've had good success with the mondeo on commodores. Also heard good things about the BF singke fan set up. Whats with all the ford stuff??
it's the only good stuff left obviously
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

Is this car doing the 1/4 before Christmas? It's sure looking like it. Fantastic progress. I wish I had the energy and enthusiasm to undertake such a project.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

If it does it will be flintstones style ;)
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

speaking of flintstones style :P

I got stuck into removing the sections of floor that were rusted, and I had planned to tie the chassis rails to the inner sills, and when I started on it I realised just how bad they were and that my plans would have to change .....

so I braced a few bits up before I started hacking up the floor too much, in the below pic you can see the passenger side floor pan where I am working on.
WP_20161218_15_32_52_Pro.jpg
As soon as I started getting into the inner sill section I found some dodgy as fuck rust repairs, the weld didn't even hold enough for me to tap it with the chisel!
So at this point I realised that the inner sill was not going to be suitable for what I wanted, and decided it would be full removal and replacement of the inner sill with something more robust!
WP_20161218_14_47_49_Pro.jpg
This is the section that attaches to the b pillar, and as you can see, pitted the whole way along, and at the left hand end, It just folded up as I was trying to remove it!
WP_20161218_16_52_28_Pro.jpg
I had originally attached the four link front crossmember to the end of the inner sill, that has now been removed and all that is left is the outer sill, which has been replaced but not fully welded on so that's a good thing.
WP_20161218_16_51_55_Pro.jpg
I will be getting some 100x50mm tube to run as inner sills, that will make it flush with the floor and meet up nicely with the bottom of the outer sill, then just add a few braces from the chassis rails to these points where the front and middle roll bars will mount to the floor and hopefully it will be solid then!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by immortality »

Geez, there won't be much left of the old girl now, will end up almost a full chassis car with a skin on top......
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

found these on my phone :) the front section of the inner sill
1F228B8A-71F0-4668-B372-95AA1CA9E5B7.jpg
5A9CF81B-E6E9-424A-8E7F-CA9B4D14CC7C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by vlad01 »

I reckon!

as for the welds. bird shit ftw!
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by heff0018 »

Yeah they haven't penetrated the metal and are just sitting on top.