FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by HQ355 »

Nice set of triple su's on that hot grey motor :)
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

yeah stock as factory spec HQ355 ;)

This is a pic I found on the googleweb, its pretty close to what mine looked like .... obviously you don't need to see the steel comparison!
auto-brake-piston-1.jpg
On that subject, searching ebay I couldn't find these at all, so I can only assume theres not much call for Bakelite ones in rebuilds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by vlad01 »

Like how does that even work? wouldn't they shatter under high load?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

fucked if it know lol .... I guess if a Bakelite cam gear works for 200,000kms its probably under more pressure than a piston in the brake caliper.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Gareth »

I was of the opinion that the cam gears where resin and glass....

At least bakelite doesn't rust ;)
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
gtrboyy
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 3:55 pm
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores
Location: Sydney

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by gtrboyy »

It's going to look good that colour with all that ol' holden chromework.

It's swallowed that rear tyre easy enough.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by vlad01 »

Biggvl wrote:I was of the opinion that the cam gears where resin and glass....

At least bakelite doesn't rust ;)
yes cam gears are SRBF (synthetic resin bonded fabric ). bakelite is a completely different material and no where near as tough and wear resistance as SRBF.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by antus »

bakelite is pretty hard, but it shatters on impact. When its transmitting force in a contained space, I guess it does alight. If you have an old bakelite phone though, dont drop it on concrete.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

Are these Bakelite pistons from a std caliper? If so I am surprised. I suppose they are lighter and corrosion resistant but who would use them? By the way the car is looking great.
User avatar
firebug
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:06 am
cars: Pathfinder Ti550
L67 Gemini
78 Camaro Z28
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by firebug »

That blue is growing on me... :think:
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"