4L60E Complete Rebuild
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
yep thats the one, i think its ATSG ?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
Nar the gm one, quick google
http://www.grail-ss.com/GRAIL%20Website ... hGuide.pdf
This guy's videos were good on YouTube, called transmission bench
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SK84Qy_Vu_E
http://www.grail-ss.com/GRAIL%20Website ... hGuide.pdf
This guy's videos were good on YouTube, called transmission bench
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SK84Qy_Vu_E
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
There's a manual by ATRA/Cliff McCormick which is pretty good for rebuilds too; its not a technical reference so it won't tell you how things work, but is good for step-by-step work and makes it easier to avoid forgetting things or getting out of sequence.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
Cheers guys.
Damn I regret getting rid of the old tranny I had, it would have been a great test subject to strip and inspect and play with before doing an actual rebuild.
Damn I regret getting rid of the old tranny I had, it would have been a great test subject to strip and inspect and play with before doing an actual rebuild.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
There not as hard to work on as people make it out to be other than general tools a spring compressor is about it, feeler gauages is a must to check pack clearences as you can accidentially mix up spacer plates. My box in this build now has 50,000km on it and going well.
-
Comcal76
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am
- Location: Tasmania
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
That's the one I used and is in the link I fixed.VK_3800 wrote:There's a manual by ATRA/Cliff McCormick which is pretty good for rebuilds too; its not a technical reference so it won't tell you how things work, but is good for step-by-step work and makes it easier to avoid forgetting things or getting out of sequence.
Tools I used.
Input and reverse drum spring cage removal Home made low/reverse spring tool. Teflon seal installer and resizer plastic bottle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
Nice work, you'd have to watch the hose clamps don't grab the orings
-
V8fan
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:27 pm
- cars: Astro VAN
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
Revive this thread with one question - is this tranny still goes strong or you already rebuild it again?
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
Still going strong, shifts very nice, about 30,000km on it, most is hard work.
-
V8fan
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:27 pm
- cars: Astro VAN
Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild
looks you're more patient driver than me )
I drove mine like a maniac every day at WOT
I also rebuild by myself (and have zero experience it AT rebuilds before) and made same mistake -leave aluminum OEM forward piston
With boost valve and upgraded pump spring I achieve 18 bar pressure at WOT and forward cracked (they famous to do that if pressure rises
After that I learn a lot and broke my tranny several times (input shaft , front planet twice, Torrington bearings disintegrates and so on)
I read about racing mods -use them
Achieve knowledge and broken tranny )))
But for now I somehow experienced builder haha ))
And I dont wanna stop -I'm building right now next version
I drove mine like a maniac every day at WOT
I also rebuild by myself (and have zero experience it AT rebuilds before) and made same mistake -leave aluminum OEM forward piston
With boost valve and upgraded pump spring I achieve 18 bar pressure at WOT and forward cracked (they famous to do that if pressure rises
After that I learn a lot and broke my tranny several times (input shaft , front planet twice, Torrington bearings disintegrates and so on)
I read about racing mods -use them
Achieve knowledge and broken tranny )))
But for now I somehow experienced builder haha ))
And I dont wanna stop -I'm building right now next version