4L60E Complete Rebuild

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by Holden202T »

yep thats the one, i think its ATSG ?
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by The1 »

Nar the gm one, quick google

http://www.grail-ss.com/GRAIL%20Website ... hGuide.pdf

This guy's videos were good on YouTube, called transmission bench
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SK84Qy_Vu_E
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by VK_3800 »

There's a manual by ATRA/Cliff McCormick which is pretty good for rebuilds too; its not a technical reference so it won't tell you how things work, but is good for step-by-step work and makes it easier to avoid forgetting things or getting out of sequence.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by immortality »

Cheers guys.

Damn I regret getting rid of the old tranny I had, it would have been a great test subject to strip and inspect and play with before doing an actual rebuild.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by The1 »

There not as hard to work on as people make it out to be other than general tools a spring compressor is about it, feeler gauages is a must to check pack clearences as you can accidentially mix up spacer plates. My box in this build now has 50,000km on it and going well.
Comcal76
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am
Location: Tasmania

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by Comcal76 »

VK_3800 wrote:There's a manual by ATRA/Cliff McCormick which is pretty good for rebuilds too; its not a technical reference so it won't tell you how things work, but is good for step-by-step work and makes it easier to avoid forgetting things or getting out of sequence.
That's the one I used and is in the link I fixed.

Tools I used.

Input and reverse drum spring cage removal
IMG_20190424_104524.jpg
Home made low/reverse spring tool.
IMG_20190424_104930.jpg
Teflon seal installer and resizer plastic bottle :lol:
IMG_20190424_110230.jpg
IMG_20190424_110459.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by The1 »

Nice work, you'd have to watch the hose clamps don't grab the orings
V8fan
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:27 pm
cars: Astro VAN

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by V8fan »

The1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:53 am Boost Valve Upgrade
Revive this thread with one question - is this tranny still goes strong or you already rebuild it again?
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by The1 »

Still going strong, shifts very nice, about 30,000km on it, most is hard work.
V8fan
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:27 pm
cars: Astro VAN

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by V8fan »

looks you're more patient driver than me )
I drove mine like a maniac every day at WOT
I also rebuild by myself (and have zero experience it AT rebuilds before) and made same mistake -leave aluminum OEM forward piston
With boost valve and upgraded pump spring I achieve 18 bar pressure at WOT and forward cracked (they famous to do that if pressure rises
After that I learn a lot and broke my tranny several times (input shaft , front planet twice, Torrington bearings disintegrates and so on)
I read about racing mods -use them
Achieve knowledge and broken tranny )))
But for now I somehow experienced builder haha ))
And I dont wanna stop -I'm building right now next version